Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Making more space in the shop

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    Never tried it. Seems like it might be messy and you might end up with some surprises.
    I use a standard trim gun or quart size compressed air sprayer for bulk paints.
    Sometimes an airbrush.

Here is an example of the rechargeable type:

https://www.amazon.com/Gino-Developm.../dp/B009IY6IHS

I have seen some rechargeable spray cans on line but never tried that.

Cheers, JR

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Ordinary house paint in cans, not aerosol, can be stored that way also. 1 litre/1 quart, 4 litres/ 1 gallon are examples. it helps to stop skimming and any rust at the lid. if left too long it will skim midway which can be cut out using an old sharp filleting knife or similar : after opening simply slice all the way around the inside of can and remove the disc then start normal stirring for use. I've also had luck with polyurathane finishes and trailer / steel finishing paints using this method.

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Paint Can Storage Shelf to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Feb 13, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have made several of these "upside down" shelves installed in children's bedrooms. There is about 12" above doors that are often built into the extreme corners of rooms. The inverted design allows for a very useful, sturdy shelf with proper support. The door molding also helps support the back edge of the shelf.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I'm in the process of culling and packing so please excuse the current mess of my shed; but you can get the idea from the pics. Upside down shelves are also excellent above a bench. I have used such for many years as can be seen above my sharpening and mitre saw bench. You cane note my use of old book shelves hung upside down on the wall and another shelf joining the two allowing storage for large lightish items in that pidgeon hole.
    Attachment 34691

I also like to incorporate hanging boxes for parts too big for the usual screw/parts containers and not too heavy requiring more solid storage but still at easy reach.
    The ones shown here are above a hinged bench and above a french cleat shelf that can be removed as necessary.

Making more space in the shop-rsz_dsc_3048.jpg

Making more space in the shop-rsz_dsc_3049.jpg

I also like to get long steel ( up to 7 metres) and long timbers, fishing rods, conduit etc away from my feet so hanging/storing them above head height. this rack I built like a wall frame from framing timbers but with more cross members: then hung from the roofing structure (I have also done this from the floor joists in previous houses). The main frame which is lengthwise along the shed and opposite a door (in this case a roller door) is a prerequisite for loading and retrieval of such items. This is on one side of the shed to allow lighting along the middle. You need to be aware of the engineered loading allowable on sheds like my metal framed one. I used mudguard washers to spread the load and two nuts to lock the height once level. Previously I had a Canadian canoe hanging on the other side on upside down board rack type hangers =simple wood or steel pipe hanging on cyclone rods. Continuous rod & nuts allow levelling.

Making more space in the shop-rsz_dsc_2551-1-.jpg Making more space in the shop-rsz_dsc_3051.jpg

For more storage of rod, timbers, etc up to 5 feet or so, I added another hanger below the large one, this time at right angles to the the upper one, allowing easy access from both sides.
    Old interior hollow doors are light and make good shelving as can be seen above the plastic hanging boxes and in the gable with my grandfather's on site tool box.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information