Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making a plumb bob

Supporting Member Dimitris Polychronis's Avatar
    Thanks

Dimitris Polychronis's Tools

Making a plumb bob

Although that there are numerous digital tools for checking vertical alignment, a plumb bob still can be a very useful aid in the shop or home.
    I used 304 stainless steel, copper and African blackwood.

Making a plumb bob-p1070341-large-.jpg Making a plumb bob-p1070363-large-.jpg Making a plumb bob-p1070364-large-.jpg Making a plumb bob-p1070365-large-.jpg Making a plumb bob-p1070564-large-.jpg Making a plumb bob-p1070563-large-.jpg

Cheers
    Jimmy

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Dimitris Polychronis; Nov 14, 2018 at 01:54 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dimitris Polychronis For This Useful Post:

anthonyget (Nov 6, 2020), Beserkleyboy (Nov 12, 2018), editor@glue-it.com (Jun 7, 2022), high-side (Feb 9, 2019), Jon (Nov 12, 2018), mklotz (Nov 12, 2018), PJs (Nov 18, 2018), ranald (Nov 13, 2018), Seedtick (Nov 12, 2018), Shanty (Nov 18, 2018)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Very nice work! Makes my grandad's beat up old brass number look anemic! I'm sure it is a joy to use. Cheers
    Jim

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Dang you do good work. I don't have a tool box nice enough for that. It must live in a felt lined custom box. 👍

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,544 Times in 11,260 Posts
    Great material choice. This is one of the nicer plumb bobs we've seen, and we have 13 other ones listed: Homemade Tools: plumb bob - HomemadeTools.net

Thanks
    Thanked 6,370 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    One of the more awkward jobs to do accurately is marking the exact point over which a plumb bob hangs. Using the actual tip of the bob can damage it, especially if marking concrete, and is just, well, brutish.

One approach I've seen to this problem is a bob shaped like a horizontal washer with four arrow points that point inward to the center of the annulus. After the bob comes to rest it's lowered carefully onto the stuff to be marked and a pencil mark made at the center of the four points. While it might work, it seems a bit gimmicky plus it wouldn't work well if the surface to be marked is angled.

IMO, a much better solution would be a plumb bob with interchangeable points. Unscrew the normal, sharp steel point and fit a thin, ultra fine point Sharpie. Then simply lowering the stabilized bob onto the surface would leave a precise mark.

Maybe I'm overthinking things - a machinist designing a push broom. Perhaps nobody needs to mark the sub-bob point that accurately.
    Last edited by mklotz; Nov 13, 2018 at 11:55 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Thank you Beserkleyboy! Although I haven't used it a lot - a couple times in the shop and 2-3 in home - it was a pleasure using it!

Cheers
    Jimmy
    Last edited by Dimitris Polychronis; Nov 13, 2018 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks

Thank you very much Phantom89! Actually lives in a small velvet lined jewelry box.

All the best
    Jimmy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Great material choice. This is one of the nicer plumb bobs we've seen, and we have 13 other ones listed: Homemade Tools: plumb bob - HomemadeTools.net
    Thank you Jon! I don't know if you saw the video, but I'm sure that you'll like this also
    Attachment 26326 Attachment 26327 Attachment 26328

this was my contribution for Keith Fenner's WIYB 2015

Cheers
    Jimmy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    One of the more awkward jobs to do accurately is marking the exact point over which a plumb bob hangs. Using the actual tip of the bob can damage it, especially if marking concrete, and is just, well, brutish.

One approach I've seen to this problem is a bob shaped like a horizontal +washer with four arrow points that point inward to the center of the annulus. After the bob comes to rest it's lowered carefully onto the stuff to be marked and a pencil mark made at the center of the four points. While it might work, it seems a bit gimmicky plus it wouldn't work well if the surface to be marked is angled.

IMO, a much better solution would be a plumb bob with interchangeable points. Unscrew the normal, sharp steel point and fit a thin, ultra fine point Sharpie. Then simply lowering the stabilized bob onto the surface would leave a precise mark.

Maybe I'm overthinking things - a machinist designing a push broom. Perhaps nobody needs to mark the sub-bob point that accurately.

You said it very wisely, Marv. It is an awkward job, especially when the marking height is greater than our body height. As for the interchangeable tip would be a good feature (commercially made ones have this feature).

Cheers
    Jimmy

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    VERY PRETTY. I'd be scared to use it, as it may end up like my dad's lead one which I haven't used for around 10 years. I also inherited my grandfather's :it looks like it has a large nail as a tip, probably to prevent damage due to less than careful use.

Thread Information