Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: posts split from nut driver thread

Banned
    Thanks

posts split from nut driver thread

Wow Rick !!! That's fantastic. Congratulations. I think you just discovered what is commonly referred to as a SOCKET.

With the internet and all, I'd expect that anyone could purchase a 3/16 hex socket or nut driver for very little money, delivered.

But in the event that I'm ever stranded without my tools (except for a lathe, a bench vise, the appropriate male form and raw stock, plus fire) now I know how to make one. Simply amazing. I gotta go now and rub some rocks together to make dirt.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by extropic View Post
    Wow Rick !!! That's fantastic. Congratulations. I think you just discovered what is commonly referred to as a SOCKET.

With the internet and all, I'd expect that anyone could purchase a 3/16 hex socket or nut driver for very little money, delivered.

But in the event that I'm ever stranded without my tools (except for a lathe, a bench vise, the appropriate male form and raw stock, plus fire) now I know how to make one. Simply amazing. I gotta go now and rub some rocks together to make dirt.
    Agreed, Rick made a tool. At home. Also known as a "homemade tool". Then, he posted his homemade tool on HomemadeTools.net.

This is exactly what this site is about.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

mklotz (Oct 19, 2017), olderdan (Oct 19, 2017), thehomeengineer (Jan 10, 2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    An alternative:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ming-Shin-1...QAAOSw5cNYM-V6

$5.73 for a package of three, delivered. You can put one here, put one there and still have a spare.

True, you'll have to find some other way to have fun.

One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    extropic,

If you're not satisfied with Rick's demonstration of a key homeshop technique extendable to the manufacture of many other tools, perhaps you could show us some totally original, unprecedented tool that you've made.
    Last edited by mklotz; Oct 19, 2017 at 08:11 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Key words are (Really Nice Nut Driver) but it is the method of making it that is so useful to share.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    extropic,

If you're not satisfied with Rick's demonstration of a key homeshop technique extendable to the manufacture of many other tools, perhaps you could show us some totally original, unprecedented tool that you've made.
    If I make a tool that's totally original and unprecedented I'll be pleased to forward the patent number for your reference.

We are discussing the merits of the tool posted in this thread. Surely you don't consider it to be totally original or unprecedented. Or, are you trying to change the subject?

I come here to see clever and useful applications of knowledge and skill.

The subject example (forming metal by the application of heat and pressure) is so basic and ancient that it struck me as ridiculous to post.

Proposing that using many hundreds of dollars worth of equipment to produce a homemade tool that can be bought at any used tool shop for $0.25 or from the net at less than $2 each (delivered) also struck me as ridiculous to post.

If the title had been "Forming Metal by the Application of Heat and Pressure" I probably would have passed by. Describing it as "Really Nice" required a reply.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    extropic - you're not offering constructive criticism, or even non-constructive criticism; it's just vituperative and unnecessarily dramatic snark. We've seen this before from you, in this post.

While we all like saving money, many of the prolific tool builders here (such as rgsparber, who has posted no less than 218 homemade tools) have decades of relevant experience and/or advanced degrees in their field, and build tools primarily for the joy, satisfaction, and intellectual challenge, and not to save $0.25.

Get it together, or get out.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Oct 20, 2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    extropic - you're not offering constructive criticism, or even non-constructive criticism; it's just vituperative and unnecessarily dramatic snark. We've seen this before from you, in this post.

While we all like saving money, many of the prolific tool builders here (such as rgsparber, who has posted no less than 218 homemade tools) have decades of relevant experience and/or advanced degrees in their field, and build tools primarily for the joy, satisfaction, and intellectual challenge, and not to save $0.25.

Get it together, or get out.
    Thank you for choosing a crystal clear example of your failure to implement sound administrative judgment. I'll stand by my criticisms.

It's your world. I'll leave you to it.

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    I feel I need to put my two-penny worth in. I am very disappointed about the negative feedback. I think we have to remember not to loose site that many people are in their sheds/workshops at home and proud of their achievements, there are different levels of knowledge and as long as people are happy to post their projects and are having fun doing it what harm are they doing. I think we should encourage this. I was an apprentice instructor for several years and it is amazing what you can learn and adapt from seeing people not necessarily doing it the conventional way. I hope this helps and let’s embrace all projects as you never know when it might trigger a different train of thought.
    What I would say it’s like watching TV if you don’t like what’s on turn over or turn it off and go and make something in the workshop then share it on homemadetools.net
    The home engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 11, 2019)

Thread Information