Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MALE/FEMALE THREADED KNOBS

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Thanks Nadogail.
    Yes, it's the same; the common name in México is "broca de corona" (https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=b...FQqLDQod7HYNfQ), so I'm afraid I translated it literally.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Here I show a set of knobs turned in oak, with insert nuts type D (female knobs).

MALE/FEMALE THREADED KNOBS-dsc09039a.jpg

morsa

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I may give this a try using baltic birch plywood. I have some off cuts of that material in my scrap box. That material is readily available in my area. It's used to make steel rule dies for gaskets and other sheet cutting processes. That's a testament to its toughness. I wonder if it will withstand the oven curing heat of the powder coating process.

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Thanks for comment, Ed Weldon. Another material that is worth trying are plastics: nylon, polyethylene, corian, etc.; they are easy to machine.

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    That's a great idea and some really good work.

You had me up until the black enamel. They looked spectacular in the photo with a natural finish. Jeesh, you could just buy black ones.
    Paul A.

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Thanks, Paul Alciatore. I use a natural finish whenever I do some work in wood. Although mdf looks acceptable with a transparent finish, I prefer painting it.

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    I thought it was black Delrin when I first looked at them. That's another choice in material and is really nice to work with!

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bobs409 View Post
    I thought it was black Delrin when I first looked at them. That's another choice in material and is really nice to work with!
    I agree that plastics are an excellent choice for these items, as they are easy to machine and have several advantages over wood. I have worked with polyethylene (1 y 2) , bakelite (3) and corian (4),
    MALE/FEMALE THREADED KNOBS-dsc06396a.jpg
    but I have not had the opportunity to work with Delrin.
    An easily available plastic is the high density polyethylene of the cutting boards. There is also the option, easily available today, to make them through 3-D printing.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    More on artistic tool handles. Take some notes from the folks who turn various laminations of interesting wood from pens all the way up to big bowls. Special boxes. tool blocks, drill/tap indexes, sandpaper and stone holders, tabletop machine bases,chip shields, parts of lamps, and fixtures for light machining work lend themselves to construction from strong layered composites of hardwoods. This is great stuff for the time in the shop when you just want to "warm up" a bit.

Thanks
    I love what you did! In my business, I purchase hundreds of these "star knobs" from Zoro a month. I am thinking about making a heated/Pressure plastic molding machine. These knobs could be made from recycled milk bottles! If I can make at least 10 an hour, it may be economically feasible to make them instead of purchasing them. I already manufacture heat presses, I just need to get the mold machined.

Thread Information