Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Manual Rotary Table

Supporting Member
    Thanks

steamingbill's Tools

Manual Rotary Table

Hello,

After seeing a few different manual turntables on the web I had a go myself using a bearing and a cast iron gym weight.

Am a newb to making useful things on the lathe and mill - the guts of what I did is shown in the photos - I need to learn how to finish things off better and generally make things look a bit tidier and smarter.

It works ok but the slot has a ragged finish - maybe thats the nature of slot cutting - this was my first attempt at cutting any slots - next time will undercut the slot width and then tidy with an end mill to final width and also pay more attention to clearing the swarf.

Next job is to get some silver steel and make a wormscrew and use it as a hob to cut a wormwheel and have it drive the rotary table - it is a bit juddery and grabby turning around by hand.

The handle goes right through to the centre to help secure the plate to the bearing.

The bearing has approx 0.001" end play so I cut a shim of the right thickness and put it underneath (between bottom of bearing and mill table) to eliminate the end play.

I ended up making the worlds longest grubscrew, drilling a radial hole from the plate circumference and securing the weight to the bearing from the circumference of the plate. That seemed a bit better than running the grubscrew from the inside of the bearing as shown in the photos.

Any hints tips suggestions welcome.

Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manual Rotary Table-rotary-jig.jpg   Manual Rotary Table-proof-works.jpg   Manual Rotary Table-1-two-componenets.jpg   Manual Rotary Table-2-smooth-housing-face.jpg   Manual Rotary Table-3-diy-tangential-works-well.jpg  

Manual Rotary Table-4-matched-faces.jpg   Manual Rotary Table-5-assembled.jpg   Manual Rotary Table-drill-handle.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to steamingbill For This Useful Post:

Canyonman44 (Dec 27, 2019), Carnel (Jan 2, 2020), ftriker (Apr 18, 2018), IAMSatisfied (Nov 26, 2017), jhovel (Mar 22, 2016), Jon (Feb 6, 2016), JRock (Apr 19, 2018), kbalch (Feb 7, 2016), LMMasterMariner (Nov 22, 2017), mr95gst (Nov 23, 2017), mwmkravchenko (Jan 26, 2023), NortonDommi (Nov 22, 2017), olderdan (May 4, 2018), Paul Jones (Feb 7, 2016), PJs (Feb 9, 2016), Rangi (Jan 1, 2020), Scotty12 (Jan 1, 2020), sossol (Nov 22, 2017), tooly (Jan 26, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks steamingbill! We've added your Manual Rotary Table to our Machining category, as well as to your builder page: steamingbill's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    That is a very clever repurpose for a gym weight. Nice project you built there! You will like having a rotary turn table, as it adds a whole new dimension to what you can make. Old barbell weights also make good flywheel blanks for steam and hit and miss engines.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to owen moore For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Nov 22, 2017)

Thread Information