Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: MASKING AND PAINTING A TRACTOR WHEEL

Supporting Member machiningfool's Avatar
    Thanks

machiningfool's Tools

MASKING AND PAINTING A TRACTOR WHEEL

I am having to replace some gears on my L1500 DT Kubota tractor and while I am waiting for parts, I thought I would paint it. While trying to mask the wheels, I found out that masking tape doesn't like to stick to rubber. I went down to Home Depot and bought some aluminum flashing and fit it to the outside of the wheel, to keep the overspray off of the tire. The curvature of the flashing, because it comes in a roll was easy to install because you just open it up to fit and then tape it on the inside and the outside and it stays. I used clear packaging tape and it worked well. Before I installed the flashing, I soaped the entire tire with Dawn concentrated dish soap with a brush, being careful not to get any on the wheel. I then installed the flashing and primed and painted it without fear of overspay getting on the tire. There is an advantage also, when covering the tire with soap, when the paint dries and you wash off the soap, the tire looks new. This will work on any size wheel not only this 24 inch wheel. As an addition to this, I will tell you that the front tires were painted in a like manner except, the flashing was not used, but the soap was and as a result, the primer and paint built up on the tire, but when the paint dried, the primer and paint washed off easily. Using the flashing was less work and proved to be an easier job. So, I thought I would share this idea with you even though others have probably done this before. Bob, here are a couple of pictures.MASKING AND PAINTING A TRACTOR WHEEL-img_0342.jpgMASKING AND PAINTING A TRACTOR WHEEL-img_0343.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by machiningfool; Feb 21, 2016 at 02:09 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Feb 23, 2016), Jon (Feb 21, 2016), kbalch (Feb 21, 2016), Paul Jones (Feb 21, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks machiningfool! We've added your Wheel Masking Method to our Painting category, as well as to your builder page: machiningfool's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information