Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: medicine cabinet for the workshop with a fire extinguisher

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Eloy Workshop's Tools

medicine cabinet for the workshop with a fire extinguisher

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eloy Workshop For This Useful Post:

Captn Roy (Aug 13, 2018), Frank S (Aug 14, 2018), Jon (Aug 13, 2018), PJs (Aug 15, 2018), rossbotics (Aug 13, 2018), Seedtick (Aug 13, 2018), Tuomas (Aug 15, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A lot of real nice quality work all for naught. Might get away with it in a home work shop in some areas as long as your home owner's fire insurance inspector didn't see it. Emergency med supplies station in the States at least are mostly white with a green cross on them or blue with a red cross I have seen some that were red with white crosses,I doubt if there is a written law for color, except in commercial applications.
    But if it looks like a fire extinguisher it is supposed to be a a fire extinguisher,so there is no chance of confusion in the event of a fire.
    When I had my machine repair and fab shop I was always at war with the fire marshal over my extinguishers He wanted a certain number of dry chemical powder units hung in some of the stupidest places but I always had Foam or CO2 or water cannons usually all 3 types side by side very prominently mounted and displayed with easy access, I flat out refused to allow the powder extinguishers in my shop. I'm not putting myself in the hospital from breathing that powder for anyone. I'd rather someone douse me in gasoline and pour the remainder on the fire, I'd stand about the same chance of survival as I would breathing the powder.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Dec 7, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Eastern Townships, Quebec, Canada, Earth.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloy Workshop View Post
    Wow, great thinking Eloy. We are told time and again told that we can't refill these things because of the date stamp on it, even if it's pressure tested and all's well. Huge waste. You've come up with a novel idea that could recycle some of these and reduce some waste. Good thinking. Pretty handy to have a few of these around active home shops indeed.

One thing though Eloy, the color and cross would be easy enough to understand for most folks BUT, that word you have up there on top of the door. Does that refer to one of those body oils folks rub all over to make themselves look, you know. SEXY? A few of us up here in Canada might be thinking that you know, Eh! Could even be a few down there in Texas also thinking the same thing. Maybe you should have put a word there that referred to a "First Aid Kit". Ha,ha,ha, har,har, hehehehe.

Eloy, my friend, you did a damn fine job, lettering and all. I'm quite sure that everyone who knows a bit of Spanish will understand and appreciate your fine talents and efforts to make this world a more beautiful and interesting place.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful work and for adding another fun International flavor to this site. I'm sure most on this amazing site would agree.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Novel gimmick idea but really only suitable for use maybe in a home bar, man shed setup. I for one wouldnt want that hanging on the wall in my shop. Too much chance someone would grab it in an emergency for the wrong reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    ....I flat out refused to allow the powder extinguishers in my shop. I'm not putting myself in the hospital from breathing that powder for anyone. .....
    Frank you do know its just BiCarb Soda? The same stuff they use to buffer the pH in swimming pools. And for bath salts. And your wife probably uses it in her baking. It is non toxic. Breathing it wouldnt be healthy for you, but if you discharge it on a fire you wont be hanging around to inhale anyway will you?

Cheers Phil

Cheers Phil

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bolts View Post
    Novel gimmick idea but really only suitable for use maybe in a home bar, man shed setup. I for one wouldnt want that hanging on the wall in my shop. Too much chance someone would grab it in an emergency for the wrong reason.

Frank you do know its just BiCarb Soda? The same stuff they use to buffer the pH in swimming pools. And for bath salts. And your wife probably uses it in her baking. It is non toxic. Breathing it wouldnt be healthy for you, but if you discharge it on a fire you wont be hanging around to inhale anyway will you?

Cheers Phil

Cheers Phil
    Yes Phil, I agree with you 100%. Anyone who would grab a lettered first aid kit to fight a fire should not have them around. If my house or shop was on fire and the firefighters showed up wearing tutus and ballet slippers I most certainly would not let them in under any circumstances either. People who just grab at whatever to fight a fire should just do as the fire dept. would suggest and evacuate the premises and let someone who is either trained and in control do the firefighting.

I'm sure that Eloy did create this as a novelty and never had the intention of misrepresenting a firefighting device. The lettering on the device could not be larger and although it is in Spanish there doesn't seem to be any reason to think that he would be trying to import them anywhere other than his place. He did have a novel idea and it is what it is. I am genuinely pleased to know that you and a few others who might feel uncomfortable having a novelty such as this around will not be flinging one of these onto a fire in there home shops. There are many folks who have been known to just fling all sorts of **** onto fires and that would not always have good results. I do really care about your well being and am proud of you for knowing your limits and not undertaking the efforts it would require to fabricate something that would just make you feel uncomfortable anyways. I'm not sure it would be such a good idea to have your dog in the shop with you also. You know, in case a fire broke out, fling, fling. Heehe.

Eloy fabricated something he would enjoy at his place and thought he would share with us. Do You think that the different color scheme in Spain or the international RED CROSS symbol is meant to deceive or confuse? I don't understand why someone would need to project a negative thought to a positive accomplishment. Don't want one at your place, good for you and whoever.

Oh and tell your buddy Frank that BiCarb, Good for gas too, just sayin.RR
    P.S. Remember Folks, in case of fire don't GRAB. "Run" HeeHeHe.

Thanks
    Cool handiwork, but after over 30 years in the industrial health and safety profession I have to agree with those saying it would be a huge no-no here in the U.S. - for both practical and legal reasons.

To be clear, many of those rules are just bureaucratic wishful thinking, at best, but you'd still find yourself sideways with the gov'mint guys that carry clipboards during routine inspections and you'd be totally upside down with lawyers if someone accidentally mistook it for the real deal during an emergency. (I've known cases where someone standing within arms length of a safety shower that ran all the way across an industrial site to get to a water spigot in the lunch room! Panic makes people do, otherwise, unexpected things!)

Re-paint it (white with a green cross, like someone suggested) and keeping it at home to salvage your creative efforts.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I wasn't trying to belittle Eloy Workshop's novel idea of a first aid cabinet made form a fire extinguisher I was simply pointing out that some bureaucratic inspectors can be persnickety in their interpretations of what is acceptable and what is not.

Yes it is just BiCarb Soda for the most part, I bake with it all the time but it is never air borne in a cloud. I've wound up in the emergency clinic twice from inhalation of the stuff and I wasn't even the one near the fire discharging the thing.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeVanGeaux View Post
    Cool handiwork, but after over 30 years in the industrial health and safety profession I have to agree with those saying it would be a huge no-no here in the U.S. - for both practical and legal reasons.

To be clear, many of those rules are just bureaucratic wishful thinking, at best, but you'd still find yourself sideways with the gov'mint guys that carry clipboards during routine inspections and you'd be totally upside down with lawyers if someone accidentally mistook it for the real deal during an emergency. (I've known cases where someone standing within arms length of a safety shower that ran all the way across an industrial site to get to a water spigot in the lunch room! Panic makes people do, otherwise, unexpected things!)

Re-paint it (white with a green cross, like someone suggested) and keeping it at home to salvage your creative efforts.
    Hey Joe, Again I agree 100% that this is not an item that should be seen in an industrial environment with who knows whatever that could happen, to folks that most times haven't had any type of formal training on how to even evacuate the building! I also agree with the fact that perfectly normal people could do some very, very bizarre things when panicking. I'm sure you would agree though Joe that the first order of business in a situation is NOT to PANIC! If the workers are well instructed and practiced as they should be in these workplaces they usually buck up and perform in more self controlled manors. The regrettable and unforgivable hick here is the lack of interest or desire to fund the required training. Management is responsible for these souls and most times fail miserably to look after their workers.

I was on the floor of a shop I worked for on day and saw a guy working on a spot welder that leaked the water coolant going to the 2 horizontal electrode tubes. Instead of repairing the leak properly, someone came up with the bright idea to just throw sawdust from the woodshop on the puddle to soak up the water. Brilliant they thought and put a very large box of the sawdust right there beside the spot welder in easy reach for the operator. This fellow (think 70s) had long very curly afro type hair. Not common on a white fellow but natural nonetheless. He was hard at it working away, sparks flying off in any direction and who would have guessed. Well looky here the box was on fire. The operator on the machine was well dressed for his job with a long shop coat or smock. This smock was well oiled up from the steel he was handling and before anyone could get a word in he thought it wiser to jump in the box and stomp the fire out rather than go and take a fire extinguisher off of one of the steel support posts close by. Well now, just like in that film the Fantastic Four and almost as quickly as that guy in the film. It was FLAME ON. He burst into flames so quickly it was amazing. I was pretty close by by then with an extinguisher I had retrieved from a post, as was another coming from the other side opposite. We pretty much let him have it at the same time and that was that. End of the human torch bit. His huge head of kinky hair was pretty much gone and that's all he seemed concerned about. His shop coat still smouldering when he removed it had been the brunt of the fire and his street clothes had nothing. He was lucky to walk away with just a few singed arms and no real burns.

What in God's name could have possessed him to jump into the burning box? We asked, his reply was just that it seemed like a good idea at the time? Stomp it out, Yahoo. Though it was not my work related duty to question any of this, I did. We did, others had the same point of view. Time for some proper education on the matter! We had some pro's come in and school every last person in the company. Janitor included.

So, even with proper training we see that folks are prone to panic. Human nature I guess. So I do agree that there are places for novelty items and that in other environments they don't belong period.

As far as the build goes that Eloy made I am quite sure that he has no intention of supplying these to shops and there is a very good possibility that he might be located in spain so the formal lessons on kit colors is a mute point and not really relevant to his presentation. The laws and ball busters of the US, Canada, Mexico or Mars for that matter have zero business sticking their noses in Spain's legal requirements. The point I would like to make is that we could be anywhere on this blue dot and our colors and legal crap does not apply to the person presenting.

One point in fact is that it's easy enough to see where folks are talking from. For example Frank S from Peacock, TX & 12bolts from Hinchinbrook QLD, Down under of course. Should of called it Paradise! Then There's me from Canada & last but not least in any way there's Joe from TX also Go Figure. You fellas were kind enough to give Eloy some 3 maybe 4 words before going negative on the guy? Read your statements! Your absolutely right concerning the laws and requirements in shops. Hell, we have the same dorky laws here in Canada. But the point is is it's not relevant to his build. He is in Spain for all we know and the wording on the build should have shown you that. He never showed any intention of populating shops with his build and certainly never wanted to screw with anyones color on it, probably the colors of his own home place, so good for him. I am sure he deserved better than " A lot of real nice quality work all for naught ". So Tell me what did this fellow do to deserve these comments and were they relavent to his build. Come on guy's a fellow builder from where ever, His intentions were good, No?

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Captn Roy, you are absolutely correct what I should have said was the work would be for naught here in the nanny state of the USA.
    I've been to Spain a few times their industrial laws rules or policies in the industrial sector are in some way just as stringent as those in most other places throughout the EU, or here in the Us for that matter. Which has little to do with what one does in their home workshop unless they have to deal with home owners insurance inspectors.
    "Rant On not at all germane to this thread. As I have recently had to deal with. He was one of those guys who thought everyone should never do anything around their home except for eat sleep and play games on their TV or computer, and everything should be child proofed, What's up that that there are no curtain climbers around my house.And no fire hydrants near by. OH yeah go for a drive dude there isn't a fire hydrant within a 70 mile radius and yet not a single home has burned within 30 miles of me in 20 years except for possible a couple that had burned from lightening strikes. Our county has several US forest service trucks for the grass fires One stays housed at a guys farm less than 2 miles from me, plus I have a water tower 40 feet from my house with a 1000 gallons of water and a 2 inch connection if need be I can connect a gasoline powered pump to it and spray water anywhere within 400 feet of the house.Rant off"
    One thing I notice quite frequently is folks precision use of angle grinders when making things. I see where they have made some amassing things all having been cut out with angle grinders. I find those skill sets to be quite intriguing since I hardly ever use an angle grinder for cut off purposes unless that happens to be about the only option left to my disposal. I know a lot of them use them because their shop area is limited in space or they do not have ready access to other cut off devices.
    Last edited by Frank S; Aug 14, 2018 at 04:23 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Captn Roy, you are absolutely correct what I should have said was the work would be for naught here in the nanny state of the USA.
    I've been to Spain a few times their industrial laws rules or policies in the industrial sector are in some way just as stringent as those in most other places throughout the EU, or here in the Us for that matter. Which has little to do with what one does in their home workshop unless they have to deal with home owners insurance inspectors.
    "Rant On not at all germane to this thread. As I have recently had to deal with. He was one of those guys who thought everyone should never do anything around their home except for eat sleep and play games on their TV or computer, and everything should be child proofed, What's up that that there are no curtain climbers around my house.And no fire hydrants near by. OH yeah go for a drive dude there isn't a fire hydrant within a 70 mile radius and yet not a single home has burned within 30 miles of me in 20 years except for possible a couple that had burned from lightening strikes. Our county has several US forest service trucks for the grass fires One stays housed at a guys farm less than 2 miles from me, plus I have a water tower 40 feet from my house with a 1000 gallons of water and a 2 inch connection if need be I can connect a gasoline powered pump to it and spray water anywhere within 400 feet of the house.Rant off"
    One thing I notice quite frequently is folks precision use of angle grinders when making things. I see where they have made some amassing things all having been cut out with angle grinders. I find those skill sets to be quite intriguing since I hardly ever use an angle grinder for cut off purposes unless that happens to be about the only option left to my disposal. I know a lot of them use them because their shop area is limited in space or they do not have ready access to other cut off devices.
    Hi Frank, couldn't agree with you more . We all have our very own BS nanny laws and those who would interpret them the way which suited them most. Things aren't about to get any better either. You are or should I say WE are about to start getting visits from inspectors that are geared up man, mark my words. The world is changing rapidly and we need to get a grip and slow things down a bit otherwise we will all be nothing more than herd animals that will no longer have any say as to how we chose to live in the life. Your time in the forces has surly given you the same vision as we have lived the controlled and restricted life within, so would see it coming first. It's all about control.

Your thoughts on the angle grinders used as cut off tools so frequently is spot on. Folks use these things everywhere and most home shops are small, crowded and oftentimes cluttered. A recipe for disaster indeed. Sparks flying in every direction and poof, Flame on. We should as a community hold ourselves accountable to seek out and educate ourselves in shop safety and as a community use the tools available to us how they were meant to be used. As you point out with the grinders, too easy too fast to go wrong. By doing these things we will keep the gov't posse out of our shops!

Thanks Frank this needed to be said and I hope most would agree.
    RR

Thread Information