Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mill depth stop improvement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Mill depth stop improvement

Like many mill-drills, mine came with a depth stop that consists of a threaded rod (1/2-20) with a longitudinal flat on it. (See first picture below.) The actual "stop" consisted of two nuts; one acted as the stop and the other as a lock nut to hold the stop in place.

Calling it a poor design would be a compliment. The nuts had too little inertia to spin freely so one had to tediously turn them by hand, then repeat the same operation with the so-called lock nut. Precise adjustment was nearly impossible and the lock nut seldom stayed tight so the setting would drift.

I solved part of the problem by turning a heavy, elongated brass nut (see second picture) that had enough inertia to spin rapidly up and down the thread if given a healthy twist. Rather than fuss with a lock nut, I threaded the stop for five 8-32 setscrews. Tightening one of these against the flat holds the stop in place with no chance of drift. I used five screws because that makes for a convenient setting interval. (1/5) * (1/20) = 0.01" so each setscrew position represents a 0.01 inch change in depth relative to its neighbors.

I only use this stop when I need very fine control over the depth setting. For less demanding work, a clip-on commercial stop of the type shown in the third picture is quicker to use. It consists of a spring-loaded "clothespin" with a split hole threaded to match the depth rod. Repositioning it is done very easily and it doesn't slip but it does lack the fine position control of my design.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jan 9, 2019 at 07:28 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 6, 2021), lazarus (Jun 13, 2016), marksbug (Sep 28, 2018), Moby Duck (Apr 26, 2017), NortonDommi (May 27, 2018), Okapi (Jan 12, 2019), Paul Jones (Jun 13, 2016), paxx (Apr 26, 2017), rlm98253 (Apr 26, 2017), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 22, 2019), threesixesinarow (Jan 12, 2019), tonyfoale (Sep 5, 2023), Tonyg (Mar 22, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Apr 27, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Depth Stop Modification to our Milling category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 21, 2018)

Thanks
    Hey Marv......thanks for posting this. I am wondering if you know where a guy could find one of those "clothes-pin" nuts?

Paxx

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by paxx View Post
    Hey Marv......thanks for posting this. I am wondering if you know where a guy could find one of those "clothes-pin" nuts? Paxx
    In a box of scrap aluminum, stir with a 1/2"-20 tap, hack saw, a small extension or torsion spring, 2 roll pins, and a pair of cap screws for handles.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Alciatore (Oct 8, 2018), paxx (Apr 27, 2017)

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by paxx View Post
    Hey Marv......thanks for posting this. I am wondering if you know where a guy could find one of those "clothes-pin" nuts?
    Below are a few places that sell them. If you want to search on your own, use the search term "Bridgeport depth stop" as these were originally supplied for that milling machine and so that name has become attached to them.

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Quic...ort+quill+stop

https://www.amazon.com/HHIP-3900-020...ort+quill+stop

https://www.mcmaster.com/#milling-ma...stops/=17dohe0

Positioning Stops | Travers.com

Accessories for Bridgeport milling machines - drawbars, work stops, replacement handles.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

paxx (Apr 27, 2017)

Thanks
    Toolmarker51..........thanks for the obvious suggestion that I didn't even consider........There is always great satisfaction in mixing tools, parts and a bit of time into a new tool or needed item!!! Thanks for pointing out the obvious....

Marv........thankyou again!!! This had me stumped for a while as to what I needed to search for and I had just had figured that out before I got your reply. I appreciate the links and original post to give me something to look into to make my old Rockwell drill press a whole lot more useable.

Paxx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to paxx For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Apr 27, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    It's not like we intend to undermine manufacturers; all of us weigh fabricating against purchase. Opening a wallet delivers zero sense of accomplishment. Knowing resources of collected HMT.net members varies infinitely, but innovation is not access to unlimited means to produce. It is utilization of that at hand spurred by creative thinking. A measure of confidence helps.
    Personally, I try to reinforce that what 'we' do is not just a hobby as some see it; replicating commercial results with unconventional methods. I don't see a demarcation twixt profit and avocation. If anything, investment in avocate pursuit is frequently more noble.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 29, 2017)

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    Hi Marv, , I tried to find one of those spring loaded ones but I see 40.00 to much how ever the set screws does appeal to ma by I'll try that Thanks for your input I like your as well. up date bought one on amazon THANKS MARV.....DROP BY ANYTIME..Cap
    Last edited by Captainleeward; Jan 21, 2018 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks
    Hi Marv
    Have ever seen a quick stop for a round column mill? I have a Grizzly G1007
    and the depth stop is very inconvenient.
    Thanks
    Jim D.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Deprey View Post
    Hi Marv
    Have ever seen a quick stop for a round column mill? I have a Grizzly G1007
    and the depth stop is very inconvenient.
    Judging from the picture here...

Mill/Drill w/ Variable-Speed Power Feed | Grizzly Industrial

your mill has its depth indicator enclosed in the spindle housing. I can't even puzzle out how the "inconvenient" stop you mention works.

Sorry, but I've never encountered a discussion of adding a depth stop to a machine like this.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thread Information