Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Millennial anti-theft device

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    I am really not liking how the word millennial is being used as a disparaging prefix for anything these days, even when it has nothing to do with the millennial generation.

You might like to remember it's the millennials who are keeping you healthy, paying your pension, growing your food, inventing new technology and trying the save the planet that the baby boomers and others have so messed up.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rorschach For This Useful Post:

Loose Ctrl (Feb 13, 2019)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    My son and daughter are both millennials so I never use the the term in a disparaging manner, it simply refers to a sector of humans that were born at in a specific time period instead of saying twenty year olds or 30 year olds. It's a term that can be used for the next 60 years or so to pinpoint that age group.

That being said, leave it to millennials to turn a 1 man 1 broom task into a 3 man, 3 broom with pallet truck task costing the company over 3X what it should cost. With the set up and break down likely no time savings there either.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Hoosiersmoker; Feb 13, 2019 at 06:11 AM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I could sweep up faster. Those guys are doing it for the "lols" as they say. I would have been fired as well. I just barely missed being in their generation. Thanks, maw, and paw.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Technically, yes, they are probably too young to be millennials. Interestingly, Generation Z is actually looking very positively to the older generation now, for a variety of reasons, but that's another discussion.

These memes broadly aren't about millennials; they're just the current version of the "young people today" joke, that has been part of human culture for thousands of years. On their end, they brandish the meme version of the old "get off my lawn" joke.

Rest assured our generational foibles are being well addressed via the younger generation's memes of choice, like Old Economy Steve, Unhelpful High School Teacher, and Scumbag Parents. Lest you are concerned that the cross-generation memeing is asymetric, here are some examples from the wild:

However, my favorite is High Expectations Asian Father:

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

HobieDave (Mar 8, 2020), PJs (Feb 13, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Feb 15, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    The whole generational thing can become a bit confusing when it is broken down My patents were born in what is called the silent generation which places me in the boomer generation but there is a often a reference to a micro generation called generation Jones. I could loosely be called a Jones'er, along with Bill Gates. My kids are Gen-xer's sharing the same generation as Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk. then there is another micro generation called Xennials Mark Zuckerburg would fit in here almost to young to be a gen-xer but too old to be a millennial
    Got to tak the wife to the emergency clinc will finish later
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Sorry not a fun day First off she is fine everything is as should be.
    The wife went out early this morning to feed the animals and let the chickens out to roam As she approached the ramp to back door reaching for the railing both arms suddenly went numb and her head felt like it was going to explode, she said her chest felt like it was on fire but no pain. 12 minutes later i had driven the 14 miles to the ER ( Yes my little pickup will wrap the needle on the speedometer when it needs to. I had phoned the Sheriff's office to ask them to inform the DPS who I knew would be parked out on the highway and inform him that I would be shattering his radar. I don't know how fast I was going but when we passed the only cross road intersection between our house and town he was sitting cross ways blocking the intersecting road when we blew past. then he tried to catch up with us, and did finally manage to pass me about 4 miles later leading us on into hospital which fortunately is on the edge of our small town.
    Once in the ER they did their thing her episode had passed on the way there but her blood pressure was still somewhere in the 250 over something ranges
    Test after test plus more tests and a couple injections later she was wheeled into a room for observation 5 hours later it was determined she had had an adverse reaction to a new medicine the Dr had prescribed last week to control her BP They managed to get her BP down to 117/54 then an hour later it was 124/62 then after another hour and 3 more checks it had stabilized at 157/72 for the last 3 checks they decided to release her Loaned me an electronic pressure arm band but we stopped and bought one anyway since the one they loaned us we will have to return eventually Our is a small community hospital and much of that type equipment is donated in the first place. They can ill afford to just hand them out and not get them back someday.
    Anyway she has to go back for a follow up Friday but if she experiences another spike or episode I'm to call the ambulance LOL fat chance we can be there long before the ambulance could even arrive at our house.
    I will finish my thoughts on the generations soon
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    My [all our] thoughts are on Ms. S and her dedicated husband. I'm sure she is in good hands.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Feb 14, 2019), PJs (Feb 17, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The wife went out early this morning to feed the animals and let the chickens out to roam As she approached the ramp to back door reaching for the railing both arms suddenly went numb and her head felt like it was going to explode, she said her chest felt like it was on fire but no pain. 12 minutes later i had driven the 14 miles to the ER ( Yes my little pickup will wrap the needle on the speedometer when it needs to. I had phoned the Sheriff's office to ask them to inform the DPS who I knew would be parked out on the highway and inform him that I would be shattering his radar. I don't know how fast I was going but when we passed the only cross road intersection between our house and town he was sitting cross ways blocking the intersecting road when we blew past. then he tried to catch up with us, and did finally manage to pass me about 4 miles later leading us on into hospital which fortunately is on the edge of our small town.
    Once in the ER they did their thing her episode had passed on the way there but her blood pressure was still somewhere in the 250 over something ranges
    Test after test plus more tests and a couple injections later she was wheeled into a room for observation 5 hours later it was determined she had had an adverse reaction to a new medicine the Dr had prescribed last week to control her BP They managed to get her BP down to 117/54 then an hour later it was 124/62 then after another hour and 3 more checks it had stabilized at 157/72 for the last 3 checks they decided to release her Loaned me an electronic pressure arm band but we stopped and bought one anyway since the one they loaned us we will have to return eventually Our is a small community hospital and much of that type equipment is donated in the first place. They can ill afford to just hand them out and not get them back someday.
    Anyway she has to go back for a follow up Friday but if she experiences another spike or episode I'm to call the ambulance LOL fat chance we can be there long before the ambulance could even arrive at our house.
    Glad to hear everything is back under control and the Mrs. will be better.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Loose Ctrl For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Feb 14, 2019)

Thanks

Thumbs up

My first post, and introduction. Knew what I was going to see before I clicked, not disappointed. Well done OP!

We bought a car for my daughter to have at college her last 2 years. It was a manual and although it took her a couple weeks to get proficient she learned and made the 5 hours trip many, many times without issue. Most of her friends at school did not have a car and would often ask to borrow it. "Can you drive a manual?" was her comeback and the answer always "No!". She said the looks when she told them were like she was a space alien. Pretty soon no one asked her anymore to borrow it, heh.

About me, basic guy who likes building and modifying things in metal and by circumstance have often made a tool or jig to finish up a project. Starting a new business and building some dedicated tooling for it and surprised to find a forum dedicated to that today. I joined 5 minutes later, behold the power of the interweb! I have a feeling I will be here quite a bit.......

object

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post

I don't know how I missed this post, but several years ago we (my wife) had the very same thing happen - with nearly the same critical BP and pulse numbers. The ER of a "brand name" hospital in the Houston burbs diagnosed her as having a "panic attack"!! Long story short, her doc prescribed a medicine that was known to be a problem for her and this medicine was known to be incompatible with another she was taking at the time. Plus, the pharmacy had relevant notes "on file" in her records!!

Before, we left for the hospital in a literal panic and because the entire episode seemed so strange, I basically swiped the cabinet shelf of meds into a large zip-loc baggie just in case it would yield some help and so they would know what was potentially in her system before giving her anything else. The ER doc could hardly have been less interested in the bag of meds, vitamins - and even some empty boxes that I did not discriminate against. The ER doc never once bothered to even peak in the bag - the clue was right there for them to see!

The wild ride (adverse effects) eventually subsided some frightful hours later and she was sent home with pamphlets on coping with panic attacks and some new prescriptions! My wife, some weeks later, while trying to understand what really happened, scoured the internet and she is the one that found the answers about what really happened which had NOTHING to do with any panic attack!

This is a tool website, I realize, but don't underestimate the power of information as being one of your most useful tools!! Find a few trustworthy medical sites in advance of needing them and be familiar with them so some incompetent ER doesn't harm someone in your family by their ignorance or arrogance!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeVanGeaux For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Apr 21, 2019)

Thread Information