Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: MILLING TABLE or FIXTURE PLATE CLAMPS

Thanks

backyard_cnc's Tools

MILLING TABLE or FIXTURE PLATE CLAMPS

I have made a number of these neat little clamps for my various projects over the years. I cannot take credit for the design as I copied it from an internet source but I no longer have a link for the original. Apart from the side profiles which are CNC cut on my milling machine all other parts are produced on manual machines. Making a few sets in a relaxing afternoon in the workshop! Review the pics and maybe view my short youtube video on cnc'ing the sides.

Gerald

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MILLING TABLE or FIXTURE PLATE  CLAMPS-clamps_1.jpg   MILLING TABLE or FIXTURE PLATE  CLAMPS-clamps_2.jpg   MILLING TABLE or FIXTURE PLATE  CLAMPS-clamps_3.jpg   MILLING TABLE or FIXTURE PLATE  CLAMPS-clamps_4.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to backyard_cnc For This Useful Post:

12L14 (Jul 31, 2019), high-side (Jul 31, 2019), jjr2001 (Sep 4, 2016), Jon (Feb 9, 2016), JTC (Aug 3, 2019), kbalch (Feb 9, 2016), Paul Jones (Feb 9, 2016), PJs (Feb 10, 2016), zarembak (Jul 30, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks backyard_cnc! We've added your Fixture Plate Clamps to our Clamps category, as well as to your builder page: backyard_cnc's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Utah Smitty (Feb 16, 2016), winston66 (Nov 27, 2020), zarembak (Jul 31, 2019)

Thanks
    Nice useful clamps. Also, that's a very nice little american made mill you got there.
    Pat

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Actually I do not need to see another piece of aluminium getting milled. I need to see the clamps doing something.

Ralph

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post
    Actually I do not need to see another piece of aluminium getting milled. I need to see the clamps doing something.

Ralph
    I see the many uses for the clamps. I just used my imagination as to what they can hold.
    Pat

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    yes I can also use my imagination, but if one is going to post something why not show what your tool can do in various usages.

How many pieces of aluminium have you seen milled? How many unique/clever clampings have you seen?

Ralph

Thanks
    yes I can also use my imagination, but if one is going to post something why not show what your tool can do in various usages.

How many pieces of aluminium have you seen milled? How many unique/clever clampings have you seen?

Ralph
    I didn't mean any offense... I was only meaning that these types of rocker-clamp, or self-adjusting clamp has been used in the industry for a long time. The OP probably assumed those that can appreciate making them would know what types of jobs they would be used for. The clamps are fairly expensive to buy. A quick search right here on this forum shows user jjr2001 made similar style clamps, and shows them in use on his post. http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...n-clamps-66046
    MILLING TABLE or FIXTURE PLATE  CLAMPS-clamps.jpg

I have the CAD files to make similar clamps. I scale them up or down according to what is needed. If anyone is interested in the files I can share them.
    Last edited by high-side; Aug 1, 2019 at 07:04 AM.
    Pat

10. The Following User Says Thank You to high-side For This Useful Post:

Jon (Aug 1, 2019)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Thanks, I like to see them holding stuff down. Now what is the advantage of these clamps over regular bar clamps?

Bar clamps are rather inexpensive so why go to the trouble of making bar clamps, besides the fact that they look cool.

Ralph

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Thanks, I like to see them holding stuff down. Now what is the advantage of these clamps over regular bar clamps?
    Bar clamps are rather inexpensive so why go to the trouble of making bar clamps, besides the fact that they look cool.
    Ok, first some terminology. The typical type of clamp used on a mill, and the type I think you're calling a bar clamp, is called a step clamp and looks like this...

https://www.mcmaster.com/step-clamps

Bar clamps look like this...

https://www.mcmaster.com/bar-clamps

and are more often associated with woodworking applications.

The clamp detailed by backyard_cnc has a significant advantage over the typical step clamp used with a staircase block. It doesn't need the staircase so it's easier to set up (no third hand required) and can clamp over a significant height range without need to move to a new step on the staircase. When a height block is required, a simple flat block can be used - much less chance of the clamp slipping off the block.

I'm not sure of the correct name for clamps of this type. Bessey makes them and I've heard them called "Bessey clamps" but a more frequently heard name is "hold down".
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Thanks Marv, duh I knew that (clamp terminology).

Now eliminating the staircase block I can start to see the logic.

Ralph

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information