Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Mini Lathe Steady Rest Mod

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Mini Lathe Steady Rest Mod

The stead rest on the Mini Lathe is cumbersome to lock down to the ways. Same for unlocking and removing it.
    You have to push the clamp and stud up from the middle of the chip laden lathe bed, align it to the steady sitting on the bed,
    and then put the washer and nut on for about 8 or 10 threads which probably will have some debris in them and make for a
    fun assembly. What if you could keep the steady,clamp,washer and nut all assembled at all times?

What I think is needed is a simple mod of the supplied clamp and the addition of a knurled knob.

The pictures below show most of the details. The steady rest clamp is modified as shown by cutting off some material
    form the sides. The template shows a .950 width that is positioned very close to the welded bolt. (about 1/16").
    The leading ends as you rotate it to the right (CW) are ground with a radius. The clamp is installed on the stead rest while it is on the bench.
    Put on the washer, nut, and knurled knob. The length of mine was perfect from the factory. The brass knob only uses the top 3 threads and
    leaves just the right amount of stud left for the original washer and nut. (10mm thread). The brass knob is secured with blue loctite.

To install the steady you now only have to hold it in place over the lathe bed, align the clamp with the slot in the ways and set it down.
    A quick twist of the knurled knob to the right will lock the clamp and then just tighten the nut (about 1/3 of a rotation) and the steady is locked.

When you are ready to remove it just loosen the nut, rotate the knurled knob CCW about 1/4 turn and you can lift it off the bed.
    No more searching thru the chip pan for the nut or washer you dropped or cleaning the chips from the lathe bed from your hands as you
    used to do while positioning the clamp up through the bed.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini Lathe Steady Rest Mod-img_2436.jpg   Mini Lathe Steady Rest Mod-img_2435.jpg   Mini Lathe Steady Rest Mod-img_2434.jpg   Mini Lathe Steady Rest Mod-img_2433.jpg   Mini Lathe Steady Rest Mod-img_2432.jpg  

Mini Lathe Steady Rest Mod-img_2431.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Back to the shop.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Alan Purdy (Feb 22, 2019), Captainleeward (Mar 4, 2019), David Johnson (Feb 22, 2019), olderdan (Feb 21, 2019), Seedtick (Feb 21, 2019), threesixesinarow (Feb 22, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Nice mod JR, the principal is not new but the application is, I have a modified fixed steady from a different machine which is almost a three handed job to fit, this idea will help a lot and I will copy it with your blessing.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Feb 21, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    Copy away Dan and I hope other users will find it useful. I will use my steady much more
    now that is so easy to mount and dismount. Amazing what a little modding will do for
    enhancing the use of a very useful item!

Cheers, JR
    Back to the shop.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Steady Rest Modification to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information