Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Mini Mill Circuit Board Cooling

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Mini Mill Circuit Board Cooling

The mini mill control box has very little cooling. First I drilled some holes in the sides but that still has the printed circuit board getting quite warm in the summer in Arizona. I had this 120vac fan and some filter material left over from an old vacuum cleaner I was using on my table saw. To put this to use I used a hole saw to cut a 2.75 round hole in the back cover of the mini mill control box. Drilled 4 mounting holes for the fan and wired it internally to the 120 vac switch I had previously installed for the circular led light. I always turn the light on when working on the mill so it was just a matter of a couple of splices to pick up the power for the fan. I was not too concerned with the motor since it has a rather nice heat sink built on and not enclosed so it has some airflow.
    Hopefully it will keep the control board cool. The fan pressurizes the enclosure. Should keep all the chips out.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini Mill Circuit Board Cooling-minimillcontrolbox1.jpg   Mini Mill Circuit Board Cooling-minimillcontrolbox2.jpg   Mini Mill Circuit Board Cooling-minimillfanfilter.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 6, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Jan 4, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Mini Mill Circuit Board Cooler to our Heating and Cooling category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information