Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Miniature bench grinder

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Miniature bench grinder

This is a dollhouse scale (1:12) model of an overhead belt drive driven grinder built from a casting kit from PMR models. It's approximately 4" high so 4' in full scale. The grinding wheels would actually grind; they're Cratex grinding disks. The purists should note that the threads on the wheel securing gear on the left side are properly left hand despite being only 2-56.

This picture shows the tool rests in more detail. They were some of the more difficult parts to machine. Although the doubly tapered leg spreaders weren't exactly a walk in the park either.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 15, 2020), gunsgt1863 (Jan 12, 2018), Metallurg33 (May 22, 2018), Paul Jones (Jan 14, 2018), rendoman (Jun 7, 2018), rossbotics (Jan 14, 2018), Seedtick (Jan 9, 2018), Workshopshed (Jan 15, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Nice work Marv. Would the full size grinder have slotted screws securing the tool rests?

Cheers Phil

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    That's really a nice piece. I love the brass work. I've got the actual grinder that you modeled this one after and I'm about to start breaking her down for a restore. Might have to steal that green color! Nice work.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bolts View Post
    Nice work Marv. Would the full size grinder have slotted screws securing the tool rests?
    Probably not. Those were supplied with the kit and I built this many years ago before I had the ability to make hex head bolts that small. I should go back and do that the next time I find a round toit in the tool box.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 14, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Looks great Marv
    I been thinking about getting into small machine builds myself
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rossbotics View Post
    Looks great Marv
    I been thinking about getting into small machine builds myself
    If you need some inspiration, spend some time prowling the Craftsmanship Museum site...

https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/

In particular, Barry Jordan's exquisite model of a Bridgeport...

https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Jordan.htm

Miniature bench grinder-jordan06.jpg

For something smaller, Iqbal Ahmed,

https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Ahmed.htm

has modeled the popular Sherline tools in miniature...

Miniature bench grinder-iqbalsherlathe.jpg

Miniature bench grinder-iqbalshermill.jpg

If you're ever in Southern California, make it a point to visit the museum. You won't be disappointed.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 15, 2020), Paul Jones (Jan 14, 2018), Workshopshed (Jan 15, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I find that Craftsmen who posses the ability and most of all the patience and perseverance to construct these marvels of workmanship to be among the finest artisans of the trades. Many years ago while I was building oilfield drill rigs a man contracted me to build a 6 ft tall derrick for a working model he was building for MR T Boon Pickens. I felt extremely honored to get to cut out and weld up the derrick but for my part the smallest materials I had to use were just small standard angle iron it was a lot of cutting and welding with a tig torch but still large enough that most anyone who could manufacture ornamental iron house hold burglar bars could have done the job. His work building the machinery portion of the rig. was so intricate that I likened it to the skills of a watchmaker.
    My hat is off to anyone who has the skills to make such tiny and intricately complex models.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Probably not. Those were supplied with the kit and I built this many years ago before I had the ability to make hex head bolts that small. I should go back and do that the next time I find a round toit in the tool box.
    You might be surprised to find that a lot of machinery from that era had part held together with slotted head screws. I can remember back in the 1970's, when I just entered industry, a manual Pratt & Whitney profile mill constructed with such screws. I didn't see a lot of equipment of that age and frankly I was kinda surprised even back then to see a machine assembled with such bolts. In one case we had to resort to a modified drag link socket to break the screw loose.

Early screw threads and bolt forms are a very interesting subject, The Sellers Thread form took a while to become industry standard driven largely by the Pennsylvania Railroad and Baldwin Locomotive works. Sadly it took the horrors of WW2 to get the "English" thread forms on a common standard, so pre WW2 machinery had all sorts of bolts and screws we don't see today.

I find the whole subject of screws to be very interesting. It literally took 70 years for the Sellers thread form to come around and then almost as long to get the standards we have today.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I find that Craftsmen who posses the ability and most of all the patience and perseverance to construct these marvels of workmanship to be among the finest artisans of the trades. Many years ago while I was building oilfield drill rigs a man contracted me to build a 6 ft tall derrick for a working model he was building for MR T Boon Pickens. I felt extremely honored to get to cut out and weld up the derrick but for my part the smallest materials I had to use were just small standard angle iron it was a lot of cutting and welding with a tig torch but still large enough that most anyone who could manufacture ornamental iron house hold burglar bars could have done the job. His work building the machinery portion of the rig. was so intricate that I likened it to the skills of a watchmaker.
    My hat is off to anyone who has the skills to make such tiny and intricately complex models.
    Some of these guys just do amazing work. I've gone to Cabin Fever just about every year and end up completely amazed by somebodies workmanship. I just hope that I can reach that level, probably after retirement, as time and patience are hard to come by for a working stiff. I grew up in farm country and there stuff is often built or repaired on the farm and it is never to that level; just get it working and get on with whatever is being held up. These model makers are the exactly opposite in every way, they literally refine every detail to perfection.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    The queen of model engineers is Cherry Hill, an English lady who creates some of the most intricate and gorgeous models ever made. Here's a sample of her work...

Miniature bench grinder-hill-87.jpg

For her complete story and pictures of her other models, visit the Craftsmanship Museum site...

https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Hill.htm

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 8, 2020), bruce.desertrat (Dec 7, 2020), KustomsbyKent (Dec 7, 2020)

Thread Information