Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Miniature drill press vise

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    These look like aluminum castings for the main parts of the machines. Is this also part of your hobby to do castings? If not, how are you creating the sand mold texture, as I've seen a few miniatures that are not castings and always amazed at the surface simulation techniques used.
    I don't think I've ever seen an old photo of a horizontal mill that used that sort of cutter to machine a channel. I assume you modeled this cutter after a method used long ago.

I do have a Rockford #2 miller, ~1930 with a Lima overhead belt conversion. The owner of the machine shop I purchased it from had to sell it, as his workers always wanted to use it vs a modern mill. It does spin slow, but has power feed in all three axis. It also has a similar external drive shaft that is telescoping and has universal joints. #9 B&S spindle taper.

Thanks for such enjoyable pieces of art.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Hi Marv,
    Your work is really wonderful !
    I was thinking about you during my last small vacation in London in February. As I was visiting the Science Museum, I saw a wonderful cabinet representing a miniature old time metal shop, with lots of machines, all powered with overhead belt and a steam boiler. And everything alive !
    I shot a little video (medium quality I am afraid), but I thought I could share that with you all, so I've just uploaded it to Youtube :

2000 Tool Plans
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 1, 2020), clydeman (Feb 21, 2024), Hemi (Sep 19, 2018), Paul Jones (May 14, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    These look like aluminum castings for the main parts of the machines. Is this also part of your hobby to do castings? If not, how are you creating the sand mold texture, as I've seen a few miniatures that are not castings and always amazed at the surface simulation techniques used.
    I don't think I've ever seen an old photo of a horizontal mill that used that sort of cutter to machine a channel. I assume you modeled this cutter after a method used long ago.

I do have a Rockford #2 miller, ~1930 with a Lima overhead belt conversion. The owner of the machine shop I purchased it from had to sell it, as his workers always wanted to use it vs a modern mill. It does spin slow, but has power feed in all three axis. It also has a similar external drive shaft that is telescoping and has universal joints. #9 B&S spindle taper.

Thanks for such enjoyable pieces of art.
    PM Research sells the casting kits. You can see their offerings here...

https://www.pmmodelengines.com/produ...achine-models/

They also sell engine and boiler kits. I've built one of their boilers and recommend the kits because the engineering is done for you and the required copper isn't easy to obtain for the home shop guy.

Novices assume that casting kits are easier to build than building from stock material. In reality, the opposite is true. Holding castings for machining can be very difficult, often requiring purpose-built jigs and fixtures. While the finished product looks more authentic, the time to produce a working model is increased significantly.

Castings are very unforgiving about mistakes. The bed of the model lathe has four precisely spaced pyramidal ways. Lacking CNC I had to work out a HAM (Human Assisted Machining) scheme on paper, then verify it by using it to machine a test piece. After QCing that, the bed could be machined. Had I messed this up, it would have required ordering a new bed casting and waiting for shipment. With bar stock, it would have been a much easier build-up of brazed parts.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

metric_taper (May 7, 2018), Paul Jones (May 14, 2018)

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Mineau View Post
    Hi Marv,
    Your work is really wonderful !
    I was thinking about you during my last small vacation in London in February. As I was visiting the Science Museum, I saw a wonderful cabinet representing a miniature old time metal shop, with lots of machines, all powered with overhead belt and a steam boiler. And everything alive !
    I shot a little video (medium quality I am afraid), but I thought I could share that with you all, so I've just uploaded it to Youtube
    I remember that shop model, Christophe. When in London, I always spend some time at the Science Museum while my wife haunts the Victoria & Albert Museum across the street.

The realistic touches like the common workbench with all the vises and tools laid out are impressive. Also, I would love to get in there and make some measurements of that planer. I don't have one of those for my Lilliputian shop. The machines are, naturally, British in design. While many American machines are descended from these designs, they all have their differences. It's educational to see how things evolved.

Thanks for taking the time to make the video. I've added it to my bookmark list of amazing models from around the world.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    That is one big "Redhead" you have there! LOL, thanks for posting . you must have som.............me workshop! and a we bit of time to use up.
    Regards,

Ranald

Thanks

Hemi's Tools
    Marv,
    OH MY GAWD man... your like well.............. I'm just speechless!!!!! (Ask my Wife, that normally does NOT "EVER" happen!) WOW.......... just..........W-O-W!!!!

What "scale" might these tools be? I'd LOVE to put together a 1/25th scale Bridgeport Mill and a Clausing 9x32 (I think it was) Lathe!!!!!
    Last edited by Hemi; Sep 18, 2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
    Marv,
    OH MY GAWD man... your like well.............. I'm just speechless!!!!! (Ask my Wife, that normally does NOT "EVER" happen!) WOW.......... just..........W-O-W!!!!

What "scale" might these tools be? I'd LOVE to put together a 1/25th scale Bridgeport Mill and a Clausing 9x32 (I think it was) Lathe!!!!!
    I'm glad you enjoyed my models, Hemi. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, they're all dollhouse scale, 1/12 (inch to the foot). If you're incorporating the models into model machine shop dioramas or such, there are many doll house accessory suppliers to provide auxiliary items and scale paneling, windows, etc. for the display.

A working 1/25 scale of a Bridgeport would, I fear, be just too small. It's not undoable, of course, but it would try the patience of a watchmaker. For a more realistic 1/5 scale model, take a look at the work Barry Jordan has done...

https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Jordan.htm

I've seen these models at the Craftsmanship Museum and they are indeed spectacular.

Barry has completed an even smaller 1/14 scale working model of a Bridgeport (pictured below), but nothing like 1/25.

You don't reveal your location but if you're ever in Southern California, be sure to visit the Craftsmanship Museum. You'll be speechless for days. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Miniature drill press vise-jordan07.jpg  
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Hemi (Sep 19, 2018)

Thanks

Hemi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed my models, Hemi. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, they're all dollhouse scale, 1/12 (inch to the foot). If you're incorporating the models into model machine shop dioramas or such, there are many doll house accessory suppliers to provide auxiliary items and scale paneling, windows, etc. for the display.

A working 1/25 scale of a Bridgeport would, I fear, be just too small. It's not undoable, of course, but it would try the patience of a watchmaker. For a more realistic 1/5 scale model, take a look at the work Barry Jordan has done...

https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Jordan.htm

I've seen these models at the Craftsmanship Museum and they are indeed spectacular.

Barry has completed an even smaller 1/14 scale working model of a Bridgeport (pictured below), but nothing like 1/25.

You don't reveal your location but if you're ever in Southern California, be sure to visit the Craftsmanship Museum. You'll be speechless for days. :-)
    Marv,
    WELL that being said, in 1/25th scale I wouldn't be trying to make them operate, just static, for display purposes with the model cars and trucks I make and I plan to make a garage to go with them for display.

I wonder just how much be incorporated in making static ones...... Follow me? (I did NOT realize, in the beginning of seeing this), that these 1/12th scale ones actually worked..... -WOW, even more impressive!!!!!!

The work you put forth however in the 1/12th scale ones is impressive all on its own never mind that they actually operate!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Yeah, nice lathe and all, bet the drive belt wheels are fl....
    No, sorry they are properly crowned.
    Just amazing Sir. It's fun to return to older posts, enjoyable then and now, over and over again.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    As promised, here is a somewhat better video of the overhead belt drive machines in action...

Now all you need is a steam engine and a boiler and you would be all set.

By the way fantastic work on the vise.

Thread Information