Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mod Marv's Lantern vise

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Metalmuncher I was giving you r threading die some thought . If you used a split die and removed the expander screw and made the lantern type vice one piece or a simple die stock that instead of having handles to turn it with it could be made long to fit in the jaws of a vice or tool post or about anything when the die is clamped it would hold the screw tightly when released the bolt/ screw could be removed cleaning the end thread as it came out
    Sweet idea! I like it!! As long as it holds the screw well enough to prevent the saw from spinning it, it gets the job done. Do they make split dies in the 1" hex style? I've only seen round ones. If they made them in hex, you could modify a 1" 6 point socket to hold the die, with a clamping mechanism around it. The socket would get a slit or two in it so that the clamping mechanism could squeeze the die sufficiently. If not, something similar in a round die arrangement. Hmm. I'm seeing a collet chuck here......

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    What about something like this critter:

https://smile.amazon.com/M10-1-25-Sp...split+hex+dies

I've never seen these before, but "hex split die" search brought it up. However, they might be rather costly if you needed a whole set of them.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    "-Then there's that guy hoarding his "intellectual secret" (he got from someone else) which isn't even true. "
    seen it happen too many times or instead of hording it they are much less honest about it and straight out steal it then capitalize on something someone else did all of the research on only have to look as far as the cosmetics or pharmaceutical industry to find it happening almost everyday.
    The same thing happened to my dad many years ago He brazed a short heavy flex shaft to 2 halves of a 1/4 inch drive extension He showed it to a Tool salesman and in a year or so a competitor of that tool company came out with the exact same thing my dad had given to the tool man for development
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalmuncher View Post
    Then there's that guy hoarding his "intellectual secret" (he got from someone else) which isn't even true.
    It used to be snake oil.
    Past 18 months or so (?), internet's awash in that very manner. It's that "one weird trick" gimmick. Cure athlete's foot, overeating, poison ivy, diabetes, high auto insurance. spots on glassware, glare reducing glasses, fuel consumption, eye bags, tennis elbow, premature baldness, hair removal, earwigs, dingy collars...&...etc.
    Ad-men not so clever any more. Why be creative? Just copied some other clowns gag.
    Never how to resharp twist drills, hit a hole in one, cure concrete, or hump bundles of roofing shingles, or fry a boom box 250 feet away...
    Like most auction sites. Pages of identical stuff; even same copy/ paste pix and text. How is marketing being a clone of shop next door? Eeny, meeny, miny, [but no moe] over and over.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    "-Then there's that guy hoarding his "intellectual secret" (he got from someone else) which isn't even true. "
    seen it happen too many times or instead of hording it they are much less honest about it and straight out steal it then capitalize on something someone else did all of the research on only have to look as far as the cosmetics or pharmaceutical industry to find it happening almost everyday.
    The same thing happened to my dad many years ago He brazed a short heavy flex shaft to 2 halves of a 1/4 inch drive extension He showed it to a Tool salesman and in a year or so a competitor of that tool company came out with the exact same thing my dad had given to the tool man for development
    Yup. Now the Chinese made a business model out of doing exactly that.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I have a set of hex dies that are cut completely in half held together by a spring they are made to slip over a thread past the damaged part the you use a 1" or a 11/2" 6 point socket and just back it off like you would a nut great for chasing rusted painted or damaged threads

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    It used to be snake oil.
    Past 18 months or so (?), internet's awash in that very manner. It's that "one weird trick" gimmick. Cure athlete's foot, overeating, poison ivy, diabetes, high auto insurance. spots on glassware, glare reducing glasses, fuel consumption, eye bags, tennis elbow, premature baldness, hair removal, earwigs, dingy collars...&...etc.
    Ad-men not so clever any more. Why be creative? Just copied some other clowns gag.
    Never how to resharp twist drills, hit a hole in one, cure concrete, or hump bundles of roofing shingles, or fry a boom box 250 feet away...
    Like most auction sites. Pages of identical stuff; even same copy/ paste pix and text. How is marketing being a clone of shop next door? Eeny, meeny, miny, [but no moe] over and over.
    Heck, it even extends into the entertainment industry. Today's next "big thing" is just a remake of something we saw long ago. Look how many times they've made some movies over and over again with different actors. Have you ever wondered if we'll ever "run out of music"? There must be some mathematical number that describes every possible arrangement that anyone would ever care to hear. I think we are getting closer every day.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have a set of hex dies that are cut completely in half held together by a spring they are made to slip over a thread past the damaged part the you use a 1" or a 11/2" 6 point socket and just back it off like you would a nut great for chasing rusted painted or damaged threads
    Ah! Thank you!! While I was looking at those on Amazon I was trying to discern if they had a spring around them or if the photo of the halves pulled apart looked more like little screws between the halves. You have what I just linked to, above. And with their individual price per each as high as it was on Amazon, a set of those is worth a lot!

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    "Yup. Now the Chinese made a business model out of doing exactly that"
    I used to go to a lot of trades shows mostly overseas. Might be in Italy, Spain, Germany or even in Guangzhou China there would always be a few booths set up with a range of products which spanned far too wide of a range for most manufactures. Walk up to them , does your company make all of these products. Yes Sir and many more we didn't have room to set up here. Oh I see well then how about such and such? Oh yes Sir one of our specialties if you would like to send us a sample to make sure we send you the correct sizes we will be most happy to accommodate you at a better price than you can find anywhere.
    Yes I just bet you can thanks anyway though I'm really not in the market for that just now. I am interested in this though could I visit your factory say Tomorrow afternoon around 2 PM, I would like to meet with your production and engineering staff for a possible half of a container shipment.
    If they were real we went to tour their factory, usually not though as there would always be some reason a tour was not possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalmuncher View Post
    What about something like this critter: https://smile.amazon.com/M10-1-25-Sp...split+hex+dies
    I've never seen these before, but "hex split die" search brought it up. However, they might be rather costly if you needed a whole set of them.
    Not sure how this gets named chaser. Chasing threads [a different activity than we pursue @ HMT.net] is a repair technique to clean root, re-form crest, and shave flanks so it will enter again, not necessarily perfect per original class of fit. Chasers typically are solid. This will make tolerance all over the place with insecure fit of a hex socket.
    Cutting dies produce threads, usually in a single pass, manner identical to lathes. That accounts for the leading side being chamfered. The adjustment [range is limited] can be used to adjust clearance [pitch diameter mainly] of desired class of fit. Cutters have a spreader screw in die, and cone expander screw in the die-stock. It also allows a roughing pass on tough material. You'd want a thread mike, wires, or go/no-go handy to monitor changes. It is tedious.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Aug 30, 2017 at 11:13 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information