Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Mod Marv's Lantern vise

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Are you familiar with Bowman's "Bowmalloy" bolts? As I was learning about bolt grades and their hash marks (none, 5, 8) I encountered these bolts and have sometimes used them simply because they were available to me. I don't think I ever counted the number of many tiny hash marks that run all the way around the head. I was told they were stronger than grade 8, but know very little about them.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Not familiar with the Bowmalloy bolts years ago I used to have a Kar Products bolt inventory their grade 5 was supposedly equal to the Lawson's bolt Super 6
    Car products carb alloy bolts had taller heads as well which was nice as it made them easier to get full torque on them when you had to get at a bad angle Lawson's grade 8 bolts were about as close to Caterpillar grade bolts as you could get without spending double for the cat bolts. When Holt took over many of the distributorships the had a big focus on hardware instead of having to buy the bolts and other fasteners by cat serial number they had bins just like a hardware store it really brought their prices down as volume sales went up for a while repair centers were dumping vendors like Hillman and others in favor of having Cat bolts. What people didn't know was these bolts were not the same ones sold by the serial numbers of the machines still good bolts just not to be used where the cat manuals called for a specific bolt by stock number

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I reckon when it comes to such beasts as are in the Caterpillar line, cheesy bolts wouldn't work very well. Serious "macheenery".

I found this Googling Bowmalloy. Looks like they have 12 points on the head. I knew it was more than 8 points.

https://classc.mscdirect.com/Media/D...20Brochure.pdf

So, you piqued my curiosity.........These folks in Sweden claim to have the world's strongest bolts:

http://www.fastenerandfixing.com/new...strongest-bolt
    Last edited by Metalmuncher; Sep 1, 2017 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    !700 MPA would be 246,564.09 PSI for us who may be metric challenged That's an impressive figure given the extreme temperature range they are claiming
    -50c to 400c that would be what -58 f to 752f
    BTW cat's standard grade 8 SAE or 10.9 metric are 150,000 PSI 1040 mPa their grade 8 High strength are 170,000 PSI and the metric are marked 11.9 1170 mPa
    they do have track bolts that area minimum of 180,000 PSI
    I would like to test some of those Swedish bolts for vibration fatigue resistance
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    Makes sense TM51. How would you do the relief cut? Like with a small end mill, or? Sorry, I'm a noob.
    saw cut after milling the v, slitting cutter in mill,

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    The idea was the relief cut was to be a guide for the v cut as I understand it. Problem with saw's is there is not enough room if you are only going to cut the end of the jaw. As it turns out just marking it like Mr.Pete did in the video was more than good enough.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 3, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Sep 2, 2017)

Thread Information