Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mod Marv's Lantern vise

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Boy was I off looks to be about half scale I was thinking it should be but I have a tendency to mega size almost everything I do

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Boy was I off looks to be about half scale I was thinking it should be but I have a tendency to mega size almost everything I do
    LOL! I work at literally a fraction of the speed and size you do Frank.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    LOL! I work at literally a fraction of the speed and size you do Frank.
    If you only knew how slow I can be at times LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

The ultimate drafting board...you have one already

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Too right. I'm one of those "we doan need no steenkin' plans" guys for sure. While I will on occasion draw a diagram to work out a relationship between parts, for the most part it's TLAR (That Looks About Right) all the way.
    I'm applauding Marv's admission, and the concept it projects. His abilities are clearly stratospheric, but formed in a natural way. Study. Retention. Application.

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/q...-v-block-58650 Exposed in the first couple sentences.

No way to estimate how many well known market items received identical treatment, over certainly many, many centuries, let alone millennia.
    And the big factor why those ancient articles exist still. Mass figures in longevity, along with fit/ form/ and function. Marv's examples prove those factors.
    TLAR is not an unreasonable means of design work. It takes practice to establish intuition, such as he (many of us) built over years studying old hardware and tool catalogs.
    Even when sliderules did calculations, designs got the benefit of an extra 10 or 15%, based on the very same intuition.
    There were small if any distinctions between good Machinists, Mechanics, and other Builders from Engineers. Many started as one type or another of apprentice, without formal education. In fact, many originated their field of choice. Oil industry, mass production, construction, aircraft, maritime, civil projects, automotive, even hydro-electrics; about any conceivable field had full populations of intuitive minds. They in turn spawned new fields...

Then industry was no longer supplied with hordes of vocational students. CAD, loading and stress, fatigue, etc programs took over and 'uncovered' extra percentages as cost factors. So when you wonder why your old __________ outlasts the newer (but lesser) equivalent, it's not such a mystery after all.
    Accountants and paper leaders run companies now. They wrest manipulation and lecture-sleep over talent and free thinking; and wonder why suggestion boxes stay empty...try to settle production issues in meetings...arrange cause and effect matrix studies...'empower' subordinates to address what's wrong...and compelled to fund STEM education as a means to remain in business.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Aug 30, 2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: clarification

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Aug 30, 2017), HobieDave (Nov 23, 2019)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Sorry, I ain't buyin' it Frank. I guess it's all relative. But just by the amount of stuff you post I'm beginning to think you are bionic or something. Not to mention you gotta be related to Superman because of all that heavy metal you are always tossing around. Geez i wish I could find a fraction of the stuff in your bone yard.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thank you very much! Here's my first attempt at CAD dimensioning.

As you can see, the dimensions indicate to me that the image was taken slightly off of straight up - perpendicular. My horizontal measurements seem very good, but vertical I came up short. This is easily addressed by changing the scaling factor on the vertical axis. Up to this point I used equal numbers to scale in both X and Y dimensions. I'll play with it a bit more and see what I get.

For the second measurement, I just took the value I had (1.709) divided by the value I wanted (to match what you wrote - 1.75) and got 0.976. Then 1 divided by 0.976 = 1.02459 (trying to get reasonably close) which I then applied as a scale-increase to only the Y axis. As you can see, in my second attempt, I have dimensions very close to what you actually measured for me. Now that I have that on both axes, I can presume any other measurements, such as the size of the square hole, will be close as well.

The discoloration of the image comes from the scaling process. I had to reduce the image size drastically to get it down to fit the scale I use when drawing in CAD. It messes with the inserted bitmap's colors, but I can get what I am after. One other issue is that in reducing the image about 70 times smaller to the scale I needed, it blurs the clear lines along things like the hole. So my construction lines to follow its edges might not be very precise. But I was just looking for the basic sizes, so this is fine! Thanks again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mod Marv's Lantern vise-first-measurement.png   Mod Marv's Lantern vise-second-measurement.png  
    Last edited by Metalmuncher; Aug 30, 2017 at 03:16 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Metalmuncher For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Aug 30, 2017)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I was talking to a farmer type the other day who said he had a lot of old farm machinery scattered around his place that he didn't know what to do with I told him I DO anytime you decide it is time to have it hauled off you just let me know which gates to go through and where you don't want vehicle traffic I'l get it out of there it doesn't matter what it is how small it is or how large it is and what condition it is in

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I like to say that the difference between me (or whoever I am speaking with, if applicable) and a _________ (insert Machinists, Mechanics, and other Builders from Engineers, etc.) is that they have had the training, and I (or the other person) have/has not. The way I learned most of this stuff is to jump in and try things, and of course get help from good folks like you when I am at a loss. I can't imagine what trying to do this hobby would have been like before we had the internet. if I can get good instructions and the right tools, I will attempt all kinds of jobs. Probably comes from growing up on a small farm in the 60s, where we had to be our own mechanics and tech support.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Metalmuncher For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 30, 2017)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalmuncher View Post
    Thank you very much!!
    You are more than welcome. Good job. I should have said +/- 1/16" because this was totally TLAR or ETS( engineer to stock) and was surprised it was so close to actual measurements. But your dimensions are much more legible than my chicken scratches. But hey, you said rough estimation so rough it is. Sorry I couldn't get it exactly overhead.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    metalmuncher it looks like you have a handle on it, however most things unless they need to fit someone else's previously made items are pretty much up to the maker's requirements as to size
    Marv does a lot of model making therefore his tools are sized relative to his needs C-bag sees something then duplicates it as per his requirements and has come up with some really good mods to tools others have made. I rarely use fasteners smaller than 3/8 16 and most usually 5/8 11 or larger some of my projects might weigh in at several tons while most folks projects will fit in the palm of my hands.
    That being said there have been times when even the smallest tools made here such as this lantern vice would be a bit on the largish side when I am repairing or making parts for an old revolver or rifle which I haven't done in quite a while

Thread Information