Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: model of steam-era machine shop

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Those rings main purpose as I was told by the Blacksmith I apprenticed under was to make kids like me ask questions. But though many of the shafts in his old shop was no longer used there was a belt hanging on 1 of the shafts it had 1 of the rings under it on the shaft so I suspected that more than to keep the shaft clean they were there to park a belt on when not in use but I also noticed wide hooks hanging near some of the other pulley locations just above the shafts that had belts hanging on them keeping the belts from touching the rotating shaft. Which led me to think that possibly a ring could have been used to move a belt to another machine The old man was funny that way somethings he would spend h ours lecturing on the care and proper use of this or that while other things he would simply roll off any remark that came into his head.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Thank you for this post. The video has to be one of the best things I have seen in a long time.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    That is awesome! Thanks for sharing that video. Do you happen to have any more information about the builder? He shares a name with one of my old primary school teachers and, since there is a hobby shop which I frequent listed in the credits, I suspect it may be the same guy. This also makes it quite probable that the builder is local to me. If the diorama is on display for public viewing I would very much like to see it in person.

-Scott

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbeciliac View Post
    That is awesome! Thanks for sharing that video. Do you happen to have any more information about the builder? He shares a name with one of my old primary school teachers and, since there is a hobby shop which I frequent listed in the credits, I suspect it may be the same guy. This also makes it quite probable that the builder is local to me. If the diorama is on display for public viewing I would very much like to see it in person.
    I don't have any personal details on the builder. The best I can do is point you to his build thread for the diorama...

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/inde...ic,4170.0.html
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    I could not assemble all of the pieces together to say nothing of a working dorama in two years.

Love it.

Ralph

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post
    I could not assemble all of the pieces together to say nothing of a working dorama in two years.

Love it.
    I've built all of the machine tool model kits pictured in his diorama and can testify that any one of them takes many weeks to complete. Of course, the machines are only a small piece of the diorama. Researching the appearance of a Victorian shop, doing the architectural layout and accurately reproducing the appearance is where the artistry enters.

John recently completed another diorama of a Stuart beam engine in a factory setting with an elevated balcony surrounding the beam. Some teaser pictures of the completed model are here...

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/inde...html#msg164711

and the complete build thread is here...

Stuart Beam Engine in Diorama

IMNSHO, his work is museum quality.
    Last edited by mklotz; Mar 1, 2018 at 09:14 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I don't have any personal details on the builder. The best I can do is point you to his build thread for the diorama...

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/inde...ic,4170.0.html
    Thanks very much, Marv, I have reached out to him. There may be a small road trip in my future.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information