Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Moving a heavy concrete lid by kicking a pipe under it - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    I love how those pipes are stacked too. And how the forks are pushed up to the pile to act as little roader ramps. Gotta find the original vid of this, at very least to hear his keys jingling in time to his pipe kicking.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Chuck Norris would like that speedy footwork.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by ranald; Apr 25, 2020 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    anyone got footage of the method for moving mills or similar machines on pipe rollers? I was trying to explain the concept to someone, and failed miserably.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    anyone got footage of the method for moving mills or similar machines on pipe rollers? I was trying to explain the concept to someone, and failed miserably.
    I know what you mean by getting the point accross. I was working at a small subdivision and a cottage was to be moved down hill but it was too dangerous for the mobile crane or big excavator. A team of guys standing around discussing a scenareo. I piped up (eaves dropping while planting shrubs nearby) and put in my twopence worth at which a loud rawkus laughter burst forth from the small crowd. The Dr owner exclaimed "that's not as stupid as it sounds" & they proceeded to lift the 7.5 metre by 12 metre cottage on to the telegraph poles and rolled the cottage down hill while the mobile crane balanced it and backhoe replaced the logs from the back to the front until it was in lifting position & the crane was stable on a level benching to achieve the lift on to the concrete block base.
    cheers

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Slight side step to the original post. When I bought our place 25 years back, there were two prefab concrete tanks supplying the water to the home. Early on we had a strange awful smell in the water. Upon checking I found a dead frog floating therein and removed it. The problem to fix was the concrete lid was not well formed ot designed causing me to almost drop it into the tank. The lid shape was supposed to prevent such but it had only one grab/lift loop. also compost like dust/soil had formed (from droppings from a vanilla pod tree flowers, leaves & fruit) and worked its way into the crevasses between lid and tank making it difficult to remove.

Something had to be done (& removing the tree alone would not solve it but i should have done that in hind sight & not listened to squarks from she who must be obeyed). I found only one piece of gal pipe to suit (grab/lift loop was too small) but enabled me to lever the lid with some control to not drop the lot into the tank.

Here is the pic.

Attachment 34690

cheers: I'm back to culling for the big move.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information