Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Billster says, "Howdy!"

Thanks

billster's Tools

Mr. Billster says, "Howdy!"

I've been making tools for my shop for many decades, can't seem to get enough information to satisfy me. Guess I'm obsessed. Could be worse things, and I just need more room in my shop for more tools.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,782 Times in 11,321 Posts
    Hi billster - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

We all need more room in our shops too

What are you considering building next?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

billster's Tools
    I decided late last year to sell equipment that was being under-utilized, and taking up space. I've been unhappy with (just for my shop and available floor space) with some purchased accessories and have built replacements for most of them. The next project - actually two - which are fighting over priority inside my cranium are a copy carver (manual, just short of CNC) and a three-wheel benchtop bandsaw that will use a common size blade I already use on my 14" bandsaw. They are battling it out, but since I have already gathered most of the copy carver parts, it may win. I think, though, I need the bandsaw more. I build guitars, ukuleles, and wooden toys, and the smaller saw will be used a lot more then the copy carver - at least, that's what I keep telling myself.

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Ha, that's a big conundrum around here. Not what to build, but what to build first!

Looking forward to seeing pics of your projects

Thanks

billster's Tools
    I'll post a quick sketch of the bandsaw idea. It's actually not a three-wheeler. I saw the concept in another machine many years ago, so I'm thinking it will translate into the bandsaw. It has two main large wheels, and a bunch of small wheels in a deep arc to the back, giving it a very deep throat, but small vertical cutting height. It will be for thin material only. It is a design challenge. I keep hoping/thinking I'll run into a drawing of the idea, or someone who has already done it, since there are so many of us tinkerers in the world.

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Looking forward to that sketch. I think if you post about it, you might find that people come out of the woodwork with fresh ideas.

Thanks

billster's Tools

Sketch of concept

Mr. Billster says, "Howdy!"-bandsaw.jpg

The only other issue I see is keeping smaller wheels cool, so I'll probably reduce the speed as much as possible and still keep a good FPM rate. Maybe someone will instantly know of such a design which I can copy. I'm pretty adept at fabricating, been doing metal and wood fab for over four decades (says Mr. Long-in-the-tooth). BTW, this is, as I assume most people view it, a labor of love. I could probably get a cheapy on craigslist and modify it, but that isn't as much fun, is it?

Thanks

Al8236's Tools
    Have you seen this one?

I don't know if he ever finished it but looks like the same concept.
    Al
    From the time you're born till' you ride in a hearse, there's nothing so bad it couldn't be worse!

Thanks

billster's Tools
    No, I have not seen this one before, many thanks! It is exactly the idea, and I will be using more wheels, as he has mentioned.

Bill

Thanks

akaalan225's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by billster View Post
    I decided late last year to sell equipment that was being under-utilized, and taking up space. I've been unhappy with (just for my shop and available floor space) with some purchased accessories and have built replacements for most of them. The next project - actually two - which are fighting over priority inside my cranium are a copy carver (manual, just short of CNC) and a three-wheel benchtop bandsaw that will use a common size blade I already use on my 14" bandsaw. They are battling it out, but since I have already gathered most of the copy carver parts, it may win. I think, though, I need the bandsaw more. I build guitars, ukuleles, and wooden toys, and the smaller saw will be used a lot more then the copy carver - at least, that's what I keep telling myself.
    You're way more ambitious than me, I wouldn't consider taking something like this on, maybe if I was retired and had time and a machine shop on hand. As it is, my workhorse General Mfg 15" and little Sears 10" handle anything my full time business demands. It's a shame General Mfg. no longer exists. If I needed to replace mine I'd try to source an old one and refurbish it. I am working on a manual brake for my General but that's not your question. My 36+ years and thousands of serious work hours on bandsaws tell me investing in a top quality tool equals superior stability, adjustments and longevity. Life's too short to deal with aggravating problems and unless you're a precision woodworker and a tenacious problem solver I think this will be a difficult project. But others have built their own, so I'm sure it's possible. Good luck!

Thread Information