Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Multipurpose mini-vise

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Morsa: I've seen the vice before but don't own it. I do have lots of the other Dremel tools like the Drill press, router table and a good assortment of other attachments. I have found as Marv points out on the reviews that they are a bit flimsy to my liking, particularly the drill press, mainly because of the plastic construction IMHO. I do use it as a stand to hold the Dremel stationary at an angle then bring the work to it and it's pretty good for that...but as a DP it flexes and the indexing head is Very flimsy. I originally go it to drill circuit boards but found it hard to place holes accurately with Carbide Circuit board drills (baby end Mills). The router attachment and router table are OK for light stuff but has limitation with the plastic tool mount in them. Basically the Dremel stuff works as long as you stay within its limits and go easy on the plastic parts.

Personally from the look of the table clamp and square drive single rod for the jaws, I think this one will flex too and that wing screw will probably fail. The ball looks OK but need to hold it in my hand to know for sure. But for less than half the price (on Amazon) it might have it's uses for light work.

One other vice I've had since early teens is a "Black & Decker Workmate 8" bench top work center & vise". Used it a lot for lots of stuff including circuit boards/perf board wire wrap and modeling work but they don't make them any more. I love it for wire wrapping but don't do that much any more. Can't seem to get rid of it because it's perfect for some things and has held up for 5+ decades. Found one on E-bay...here is the link...think it was <$20 new when I got it.

New in Box Vintage Black & Decker Workmate 8" Work Center & Vice Hobbycrafter (7 | eBay

In the end I'm with Marv and Paul...get the Panavise if you can and add goodie as you can...you won't regret it.

However your mini table is a Rock Star for small work because of the pins and stops and moxon vises!!

Regards,
    ~PJ

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

morsa (Nov 9, 2016), Paul Jones (Nov 9, 2016)

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Thanks, PJs. I also have all these Dremel-accessories and have no complaints, that's why I was tempted to buy the Dremel multi-vise. Time ago, Dremel also made a Dremel Project Table 2600 (https://www.rapidonline.com/dremel-p...e-2600-85-0411), similar to that from B&D, now discontinued.
    On the other hand, the Dremel multi-vise and the PanaVise "junior" (https://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-Mode...YSDQH68BSQ7P6X) are at the same price, and the last is made in metal, so it could be a good option.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 9, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I hate to be a wet blanket but I became suspicious when I read the following sentence, quoted from the "Product Description" writeup on the referenced page...

Lightweight, yet durable, the vise is designed around a vise head assembly constructed of a black glass reinforced thermal composite alloy connected to a die cast zinc base by PanaVise's patented ball joint clamp system, known as a "split-ball."

"glass reinforced thermal composite" sounds like advertising copywriter double-speak for "plastic" to me.

So, I looked at the reviews. I always read the one star reviews first and there I found this...

The metal base is very strong and sturdy, but I was disappointed with the flimsy plastic jaws. They are too long, and flex too much to get a tight grip.

The Junior may be usable but I'm of the opinion that there should be no plastic in any vise, other than perhaps jaw pads.

As always, caveat emptor.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

morsa (Nov 9, 2016), Paul Jones (Nov 9, 2016), PJs (Nov 10, 2016)

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Thanks, mklotz. It's very clear.
    To be honest, I wanted to use the online gift card (http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/h...pup%94-53537-2) and the difference with the PanaVise 396 price is important. So, I'll think if I pay this difference or search for another item.
    Thanks again for your advice.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 10, 2016)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by morsa View Post
    Thanks, PJs and Paul Jones.
    That PanaVise looks great, but since I don't have one I'll keep using this mini-vise.
    By the way, sometime ago I was tempted to buy the Dremel multi-vise (DREMEL® Multi-Vise (2500)), which is cheaper. Any opinion about this vise?
    I can't comment on the Dremel as I've never seen one. Honestly I don't have a good opinion of most of the Dremel labeled accessories on the market but that is me.

PanaVise on the other hand has been an industry standard for years now. We use a few at work and I honestly haven't seen a better alternative. Frankly the price is reasonable for the quality.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

morsa (Nov 11, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks morsa! We've added your Mini Vise to our Vises category,
    as well as to your builder page: morsa's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

morsa (Nov 11, 2016)

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Strong and clear, wizard69. Thanks for your helpful advice.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information