Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: My BIY sawmill and log rail bed.

Thanks

Double J Creations's Tools

My BIY sawmill and log rail bed.

Well my home made build it yourself sawmill is pretty much completed and operational, just need to install the front band blade covers and make a few adjustments here and there, then I will be making some first test cuts some time this week. Have a YT video of a portion of the build and will make another of the complete build. Took some close ups of design details incorporated into my sawmill, might help someone here in their design of building one, enjoy.

My BIY sawmill and log rail bed.-image.jpgMy BIY sawmill and log rail bed.-image.jpg
    My BIY sawmill and log rail bed.-image.jpgMy BIY sawmill and log rail bed.-image.jpg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1290 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	12815My BIY sawmill and log rail bed.-image.jpg
    My BIY sawmill and log rail bed.-image.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Double J Creations; Aug 16, 2016 at 06:36 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Double J Creations For This Useful Post:

Jon (Aug 12, 2020), PJs (Aug 29, 2016), rossbotics (Aug 13, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Double J Creations! We've added your Sawmill to our Logging category,
    as well as to your builder page: Double J Creations's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Ok guys, my sawmill is cutting. First cuts after adjustments. Still a few adjustments to make, but the sawmill works wonderfully. Although I might add hydraulics to the railbed just to move the mill back and forth, because I'm an old man, it cuts like there is nothing on the railbed. Throws the sawdust out about 10 to 12 feet. No bogging down of the engine either. I could not be more pleased with it's operation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Double J Creations For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 29, 2016)

Thanks

Imabass's Tools
    Nice work. I figured these bandsaw mills would cut faster. It does look like a workout pushing the saw down the track. You could easily do this with a hydraulic motor, chain and sprockets.

One of these days, I will tackle a project similar to this.
    Why buy it if you can build it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Imabass For This Useful Post:

Double J Creations (Aug 29, 2016)

Thanks

Thanks Imabass. Now I'm thinking to use another new wench I have that's a little heavier duty that came with a wireless remote control to move the saw forwards and backwards. I already have a charging system and battery setup. Have extra cable, I could set up this wench on the saw itself and run the cable to it from each end of the railbed. I think that would work very well and move at about the same rate as I was, even a bit slower would be fine with me, just as long as I don't have to push it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Double J Creations For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 29, 2016)

Thread Information