Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: My cnc router running smoothly, finally.

Supporting Member machiningfool's Avatar
    Thanks

machiningfool's Tools

My cnc router running smoothly, finally.

About a year and a half ago, I posted this build, a cnc router from Adept slides, KSI-labs Centipede system, VSD-E drives to servos, and runs on Mach3 software. Back then, I guess that I was lucky when I ran a test and it ran perfectly, so I thought. I had not reason to use it until now, as I am constructing some 1:32 Amtrak Superliner passenger cars. It has taken me about 2 weeks to work the bugs out of it, but it is running fine now. To make a long story short, the problem was that the various electrical supplies had to be separated rather than powering up with one plug. The way it is now, first computer, than Mach3, than brk. board along with low voltage power supply, then finally high voltage to the servos. Before I did that, I had experienced some runaway axis, really scary, because of the potential speed of these slides, but with this sequence, no more runaways. Here is a video with my homemade spring loaded pen mounted on the router clamp drawing a Superliner side. Later, I will substitute the pen with a cutter that I made to cut it out of .040 styrene. Bob.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

Jon (Dec 5, 2017), Paul Jones (Dec 5, 2017), Seedtick (Dec 5, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Bob,
    Congratulations on getting it to work and determining the sequence of power supply start-ups. Now you will be in production for the passenger cars. I have been checking on your YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/omiateeful/videos and see you have your large T1 locomotive almost finished except for some details.
    Regards, Paul

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Yes sir, almost done with the T1, except for the hand-rails. It seems like I start a new project without having finished a prior one, but that is me. Thanks for the congrats. I feel like I have just fought a 10 round fight with that machine, but I won, finally and now I can boot it up with some confidence that it will run correctly. and now have to get on with the outside layout, can't wait for that to be done, and thanks again, Bob.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Dec 6, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by machiningfool View Post
    Yes sir, almost done with the T1, except for the hand-rails. It seems like I start a new project without having finished a prior one, but that is me. Thanks for the congrats. I feel like I have just fought a 10 round fight with that machine, but I won, finally and now I can boot it up with some confidence that it will run correctly. and now have to get on with the outside layout, can't wait for that to be done, and thanks again, Bob.
    Not just you most of us find that 1 project leads to another which absolutely has to be done before the prior project can advance. The problem comes in when you find that you have 10 projects started all depending in part upon the completion of the others its when the secondary projects become dependent on the primary that you are in trouble. I'v e had that happen more often than not
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Yes, that is true and thanks for your inspiration and kind words. Bob.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks machiningfool! We've added your CNC Router Debugging to our CNC category,
    as well as to your builder page: machiningfool's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information