Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: My Expanding Drill Press Table

Thanks

DUKESALLEY's Tools

My Expanding Drill Press Table

I found that often I needed additional support when drilling long items but I didn't want to have to set up support stands and then take them back down just to drill a few holes in an item over 4 feet long. I also didn't want to risk damaging the project or myself while trying to support the object whether a 4 foot piece of wood or a 4 foot 3x3 angle iron with 1 hand while trying to lower the quill with the other. So I came up with this. I had an old dining room table with that was gathering dust while waiting to be converted into something and I saw that it had some old wood slides on it that served to expand it for a leaf. Well those slides worked out very nicely on my expanding drill press table. The top itself is a laminated piece of MDF so it is easy to wipe clean. It normally measures 31" wide by 24" deep but if I need extra table surface or support I can pull out the 3" extensions up to 14.5" each side giving me a working surface of 60" , 30" to each side of the spindle. It aids in accuracy as well as safety, and much quicker than dragging out supports setting them to correct height etc. My fence is adjustable front to back and has a 1/4"x 1/4" rabbet along the bottom edge so my work piece will sit firmly against the fence. A locking stop with a micro adjustment feature rides along the top for repetitive hole drilling. The main section has a track that accommodates clamps with T nuts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Expanding Drill Press Table-dsc06562.jpg   My Expanding Drill Press Table-dsc06563.jpg   My Expanding Drill Press Table-dsc06564.jpg   My Expanding Drill Press Table-dsc06565.jpg   My Expanding Drill Press Table-dsc06566.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by DUKESALLEY; Jan 28, 2019 at 03:31 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DUKESALLEY For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jan 28, 2019), Metallurg33 (Jan 31, 2019), PJs (Jan 29, 2019), threesixesinarow (Jan 31, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks DUKESALLEY! We've added your Expanding Drill Press Table to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: DUKESALLEY's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information