Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: MY HOMEMADE TESLA COIL

Supporting Member
    Thanks

mariost's Tools

MY HOMEMADE TESLA COIL

A Tesla coil is an electrical resonant transformer circuit designed by inventor Nikola Tesla in 1891. It is used to produce high-voltage, low-current high frequency alternating-current electricity.
    Tesla tried to transfer energy with a wireless way. It was really difficult to do this to a long distance and as you had to increase the current for this , the experiment was dangerous . So the project stopped.
    Today, their main use is for entertainment and educational displays.
    In my Tesla coil I used a circuit with a MJE 13007 transistor that cuts and connects the current to the primary coil very quickly and produces a high voltage current with big frequency to the secondary coil. This is the reason that makes the ionization of the gas to this kind of bulbs.
    I used a 1.5 mm diameter wire with 5 turns to the primary coil and a 0.3 mm with 830 turns to the secondary.
    The experiment is not dangerous. The current is very low in the secondary and this kind of current ( very big voltage –very big frequency – very low current) passes through the surface of the skin.You can smell the skin that burns if you touch the antenna for 3-4 second or more. Nothing else. If you want to see bigger spark you must use more powerful power supply. About 30-40 volts and more than 100 w.
    It is also a good tool to test some kind of bulbs that work with ionized gaz without to put in in the current.

YOU CAN SEE THE EXPERIMENT HERE.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MY HOMEMADE TESLA COIL-img_20180922_175040.jpg   MY HOMEMADE TESLA COIL-img_20180922_180859.jpg   MY HOMEMADE TESLA COIL-23-9-2018-2-00-30-.jpg   MY HOMEMADE TESLA COIL-23-9-2018-2-13-32-.jpg   MY HOMEMADE TESLA COIL-img_20180922_174856.jpg  

MY HOMEMADE TESLA COIL-23-9-2018-1-54-34-.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    What is the translation of the captions in photos 1,3,6 ?

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

mariost's Tools
    The translation of the captios is that the high frequency and high voltage of the current (very low current that iw no dangerous -you can touch the antenna -feel a very little burn) make the gaz of the bulb to ionized so we see the light.In the photo in the middle i explain that we don' t need a big cooler to the transistor because the current is very low.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information