Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My M6 Scout Build

Supporting Member
    Thanks

My M6 Scout Build

With all the home made gun craze going I decided to build my own M6 most people dont even know what it is
    so here is a picMy M6 Scout Build-m6_diagram_showing_open_breech_and_rear_buttstock_storage.jpgMy M6 Scout Build-m6man02-7-.jpgMy M6 Scout Build-springfield-m6-scout-212.jpgMy M6 Scout Build-7678912.gifMy M6 Scout Build-500-rifling-reamer-broach.jpgMy M6 Scout Build-slide_42.jpgMy M6 Scout Build-button_test_2r1.jpg hope these pics show I am new to this site. The M6 is a survival weapon the USAF used for pilots in survival situations. It has a interesting history and a very simple design.Well enough yammering I am making every thing home made so the .22 barrel has become a challenge. So far I welded a 1/2in cupping and a 3/4 couping together to form the receiver/ holder as the couplings just hold the 2 barrels being a rim fire gun. This works for the 12ga but the half inch pipe is another problem. so I cut 3/4in out of a 1/2in pipe and hammer it together to form a 3/8?? ish pipe which I hammered into the original 1/2 in pipe making it double walled. I know a 5/16 steel brake line will hold a .22 but to be legal I need rifling thus the pics of rifling buttons which I intend to make my self. So my ? is anyone have any suggestions as how I should do this I have seen vids of guys grinding down drill bits and one of a guy using 1in hacksaw blade that looks interesting. I figure if I can get a nice cutting edge and a all thread mounted system then by slowly screwing it into the brake line I should get some groves or rifling. I am looking for Ideas not its not going to work comments the fore fathers made flint locks and such out of crude tools why cant we do the same with all the new stuff we now have.

Thank you for any help on this matter

The jammer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M6_Air...urvival_Weapon

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jamman; Apr 16, 2016 at 03:27 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jamman For This Useful Post:

Jon (Mar 21, 2016), kbalch (Mar 20, 2016), PJs (Apr 11, 2016)

Thanks
    Hi Jamman,

Welcome!

Very cool project (and first post)!

Have a look through our various rifling-related projects: Rifling - something in there should point you in a useful direction.

Please do keep us posted on this one…

Ken

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    My M6 Scout Build-m6scout3.jpgThank you Ken I saw Clifftons looks like some good Ideas there but on a .22 ?? I was thinking more of a button tool on some all thread driven by a drill or hand crank saw a few old screw machines with clynders that had a crank and a helix cut out looking into building somthing like that simular to Cliftons but in reverse??? got any input
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My M6 Scout Build-home-made-m6-2.jpg   My M6 Scout Build-home-made-m6.jpg  
    Last edited by Jamman; Mar 20, 2016 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks
    That's beyond my expertise, but we've got some capable gunsmiths who'll hopefully be along shortly with some input.

Nice work so far!

Ken

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    hey Ken I checked out the Rifiling but did not see one that works for my project just was wonndering if one of the smithtys might want to give me a few pointers ??/

Thanks
    Hey,

Let's give it a few days and see if this thread garners any responses. If not, then we can try to address one or two of the relevant guys directly.

Ken

Thanks
    Interesting project. Hope it works out for you.
    You may want to consider buying used barrels instead of making them, unless you've got your heart set on doing it. A good source for used barrels is ebay or Gun Parts Corp.
    If you have your heart set on making barrels, you still might want to buy one for a rifling guide.(You can make a guide by pouring lead around the guide rod while inside the barrel).
    For barrel steel, google for seamless DOM tubing. 3140 or 4140 is a good type of steel for barrels. The heavier the wall the better.
    Or in lieu of all that, you can buy a rifled liner from Brownells, which can be epoxied in a suitable piece of steel.

For the frame and other parts, it will be easiest to use thin sheet metal for a template to get the parts working together, as well as for future reference.
    I've thought about making one of these as a muzzle-loader in order to legally by-pass barrel restrictions, but haven't done it.

How ever you do it, please keep us posted.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    hey Thunbs

I was wondering if you would know how to build a rifiling button I started a new post on rifiling machines so good Ideas but I need a good faberacator as the info you gave me sounds like me thinking out side the box hope you reach back to me and help me on this

Last edited by Jamman; Mar 25, 2016 at 11:45 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I am so glad for this site we have become a walmart socity you need somthing go to walmart in the old days you would ask the old guy next door and he would say "humm i rember a while back some kid who build one of those thingy a bobs he did it like this "
    one day China will say no more 99 now we want 9 99 with all our manufacturing and tool making beeing done over seas what is going to happen to our socity and the lame brains we got growing up thery cant even change the oil on a car or fix a leeky pipe wooh on to us the future looks grim

Thread Information