Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: NASA fastener design manual

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    In Sept of 2008 there was a little 6.1 near Qeshm Island in Iran I was up on the 32nd floor of a building being built in Kuwait City at the time it happened with no walls on the building yet only the concrete structure and the core and some of the floors had been poured we felt the building sway quite a bit even being several hundred Kilometers away. Towers down in Dubai were evacuated as a precaution that stupidly tall thing they have in Dubai now is supposedly rated to withstand a 9.1 but you wouldn't catch me in it I was invited to a conference to be held on the 65 th floor but as luck would have it I was in Germany at a trade show during the time it was to be held

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    I have to think there's something not obvious going on here. I've seen a lot of vibrating machinery in my time, and if most nuts loosened as apparently easily as it appears in the video, stuff would be falling apart all around us ...

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to richardcrane For This Useful Post:

tommyhill (Apr 4, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    IN the the video I suspect these fasteners were attached to a single member and the harmonic resonance was perfectly tuned for testing and demonstration purposes . in real world application while the possibility of perfectly tuned resonance does happen between dissimilar size and shaped parts it is rare that there would be only 1 fastener in place on critical structures or assemblies. blind doweling 2 parts together helps to elevate this possibility as well. but vibration is no where near the only cause of fastener fails, thermal expansion and contraction wind loading torsional stress tension loading and relaxing structural flex improper chamfering of the mating holes just to name a few
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Oct 3, 2017), NortonDommi (Sep 12, 2017)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 26, 2021), Beserkleyboy (Mar 25, 2021), Home-PC (Mar 29, 2021), jimfols (Mar 25, 2021), MeJasonT (Mar 25, 2021), MrMetal (Mar 29, 2021), Rangi (Mar 25, 2021), rlm98253 (Mar 25, 2021), stanstocker (Mar 27, 2021), superskypilot (Mar 26, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Mar 25, 2021)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    single member and the harmonic resonance was perfectly tuned, weh-hey sounds just like us guys her on the grandiose homemade tool forumartos. we should all get a pin.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thread Information