Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Necessity is the mother of invention.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Surely tool of the month.
    Ingenious

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (Jan 20, 2019), saintrain (Jan 21, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jan 19, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Been there, done that. That's exactly the arrangement (sans auto tire) that I used in high school to pump blood on the perfusion machine I built for a science project.

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/h...945#post109134

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Been there, done that. That's exactly the arrangement (sans auto tire) that I used in high school to pump blood on the perfusion machine I built for a science project.
    But Marv; without Facebook? I shudder to think creativity was possible without social media. And sharing knowledge, what's this World coming too?
    https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...-of-york/n8661
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    It may look strange but try inflation by a car tire with one of those bycycle pumps and that looks just the nuts. It literally takes forever

As an aside I just left Cabin Fever and some of the mechanisms modeled there, many patented, just blows ones mind. I’ve gone every year for at least five years now and always see something new. Today it was a way to automate an old fashion well pump. In this case a 1917 patent pump, that is just a slightly more refined Rube Goodberg machine.

It can be pretty amazing to see some of these inventions.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Wizard69 if you think a car tire takes forever try having a flat in the middle of a field on the rear tire of a frame tractor a mile from the barn. You don't dare drive it on a flat back to the barn so when your 12 years old the only thing you can think of is to walk home get the hand pump use your pocket knife to cut a tapered wooden plug to plug the hole with then spend half an hour pumping the tire up enough to finish the days work.
    the guy's innovative compressor is really neat.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    It may look strange but try inflation by a car tire with one of those bycycle pumps and that looks just the nuts. It literally takes forever
    I don't think he's trying to inflate the tire. He's simply using the tire as a reservoir tank to even out the pressure fluctuations from the pump so he has a nice constant airflow at the paint gun. The tire serves the same purpose as the capacitor on the output of the rectifier in a direct current power supply.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 20, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    I suspect so. What I was getting at is the effort required to use one of those bycycle pumps to inflate a car tire or for that matter a wheel barrel tire. Having done both that pump has a certain appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I don't think he's trying to inflate the tire. He's simply using the tire as a reservoir tank to even out the pressure fluctuations from the pump so he has a nice constant airflow at the paint gun. The tire serves the same purpose as the capacitor on the output of the rectifier in a direct current power supply.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    I can’t even imagine doing a tractor tire considering the energy expended just to bring a car tire up to pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Wizard69 if you think a car tire takes forever try having a flat in the middle of a field on the rear tire of a frame tractor a mile from the barn. You don't dare drive it on a flat back to the barn so when your 12 years old the only thing you can think of is to walk home get the hand pump use your pocket knife to cut a tapered wooden plug to plug the hole with then spend half an hour pumping the tire up enough to finish the days work.
    the guy's innovative compressor is really neat.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    I can’t even imagine doing a tractor tire considering the energy expended just to bring a car tire up to pressure.
    It wasn't as bad as you might think our tractor tires were filled with water and a little antifreeze but by the time i noticed it getting low it was too late to try and drive it back to the barn, and I didn't want to loose anymore water out if it than I had to so I parked it with the hole on top, drove a small lynch pin in the hole to stem any further leakage until I could walk home and get the pump. I cut off a branch on the way home to carve a plug out of By the time I found the pump and made it back to the tractor all of the air was out but I had probably only lost 10 to 15 gallons of water so the only amount of air needed was to make it round again and pressure it up to enough to go back to work probably the equivalent of the amount of air in 3 car tires
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    It wasn't as bad as you might think our tractor tires were filled with water and a little antifreeze...
    I've heard of lead dust to weight construction tires; and reduces volume of air needed to maintain tire mounted on rim? Water isn't as heavy but WAY easier to get, unless a mile from the pump.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information