Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Need advice on how to build static car wheel balancer

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Need advice on how to build static car wheel balancer

Hi all,

Looking for some advice for building a static balancer to balance car wheels, has anyone build anything before. How did you go about it?

Thanks

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Peter Sanders's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by auswelder View Post
    Hi all,

Looking for some advice for building a static balancer to balance car wheels, has anyone build anything before. How did you go about it?

Thanks
    If these car wheels are to be used on a car (with tyres fitted), I wouldn't recommend making such a balancer for car wheels. Dynamic balancing is the BEST way to balance car wheels.

Static balancing only caters for "centrifugal" forces, those that will attempt to move the wheel away from its centre (up/down, back and forth). There are more dynamic forces on car wheels including a state where two wheels may move in "harmony" from side to side etc. Static balancing cannot remove such potential motion.

If you need to balance something statically then use an "axle" that supports the wheel and allow this axle to roll on round shafts. Have a look at this video for some ideas.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Peter Sanders; Dec 27, 2018 at 06:15 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Yes it will be used for car wheels that will be on a vehicle. From what I understand static balancing was used for many many years before these computerised wheel balancers came on the market.

Also from the research I have done it seems some still prefer to do a static balance as the dynamic doesn't always work (though that could have something to do with being out of calibration)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The vehicle it will be used on will never go over 110KM/H and the tyres are 215 wide and 16" Diameter. This is not a performance vehicle, just a small Toyota pickup.

Using the type of balancer you have shown above, i'm not sure how easy it would be to centre the shaft on the wheels.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information