Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Need help with Rotary Draw Dies

Thanks

Need help with Rotary Draw Dies

I am building a die to bend 1" square, I have a 8" O.D. x 2" Round die that I have machined a 1.05 inch wide by .5 inch deep groove. *I was going to make the back plate 4" long and machine the same groove into it. *But the truth is I am just guessing, I want to know if anyone could tell me if you machine in exactly 1/2 of the thickness of the material you are going to bend or something I dont know about. * Thanks to anyone that can send me in the right direction. * *I also wanted to know if there was a formula to how long the back plate has to be in relation to the material you are bending and the O.D. of the bending die. *I attached some pictures so you can understand my rambling.

Need help with Rotary Draw Dies-back-plate.jpg

Need help with Rotary Draw Dies-side-v-iew-8-inch-bender.jpg

Need help with Rotary Draw Dies-top-v-iew-8-inch-bender.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tooly236 For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Jul 8, 2017)

Thanks

Bending dies

Quote Originally Posted by Tooly236 View Post
    I am building a die to bend 1" square, I have a 8" O.D. x 2" Round die that I have machined a 1.05 inch wide by .5 inch deep groove. *I was going to make the back plate 4" long and machine the same groove into it. *But the truth is I am just guessing, I want to know if anyone could tell me if you machine in exactly 1/2 of the thickness of the material you are going to bend or something I dont know about. * Thanks to anyone that can send me in the right direction. * *I also wanted to know if there was a formula to how long the back plate has to be in relation to the material you are bending and the O.D. of the bending die. *I attached some pictures so you can understand my rambling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back plate.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	18758

Name:	side v iew 8 inch bender.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	18760

Name:	top v iew 8 inch bender.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	18759
    My experience in that industry is that the friction of sliding the material through the backing block causes problems. It is better to let the backing block travel with the part. So my answer to your question is to figure out the number of degrees you want for a max bend. Then calculate the distance of the Outside Diameter of the bend and add three Diameters or part thickness in your case to that.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Google App

Try an app called "MBCalc" in the Google Play Store.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information