Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: new hobby lathe pencil sharpener

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

new hobby lathe pencil sharpener

well my guy is on his way to pick up my new hobby lathe at least that is what I told him it was. he knows he is going to pick up nearly a full step deck trailer load of machines for me but I wish I could be there to see the look on his face when he sees this little lathe
    new hobby lathe pencil sharpener-big-lathe1v.jpg
    new hobby lathe pencil sharpener-big-lathe-3v.jpg
    My wife asked me what I was going to use it for and I said I don't know maybe sharpen pencils with it.
    It is factory raised to be able to turn the full 36" over the carriage
    total length is between 21 to 23 feet. So I'm guessing maybe 10 or 12 between centers

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Jun 27, 2019 at 10:29 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jun 29, 2019), Crusty (Jun 29, 2019), high-side (Jun 30, 2019), Jon (Jun 28, 2019), KustomsbyKent (Jun 30, 2019), markcawston (Jun 28, 2019), Radioman (Jun 28, 2019), ranald (Jun 29, 2019), Seedtick (Jun 28, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jul 2, 2019), wadebrooks (Jun 29, 2019), will52100 (Jun 29, 2019)

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    Your going to need an inverter the size of your house to power that bad boy! I’m super jealous!
    All the best to you. Now all you need is a mill of similar size to compliment it.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    My wife will not let me build another shop, the intent to prevent any more hoarding. You are lucky you have the space for this beast.
    How big is the head stock through hole? My puny lathe has a 80mm through hole, but a shrimp in all other comparisons to 36" throw.
    I do understand, you've probably ran up against limitations of your current machines, this should fix that....... temporarily.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    Your going to need an inverter the size of your house to power that bad boy! I’m super jealous!
    All the best to you. Now all you need is a mill of similar size to compliment it.
    When I saw it and told the guy I'd like to have it. It was nearly buried under tons of boxes. He asked what I could possibly want with a lathe that size.
    Just so I can say I got one if nothing else. I use to have a 1917 Johnson 20" lathe 12 ft bed that had half or the gears broken but it would run at 1 slow speed which was perfect for threading the ends of 8" hydraulic cylinders A guy cam in one day and asked if I could turn the Of of a 16" sch 160 pipe and thread it He had been to several big machine shops and none of them had anything large enough.
    So the way I figure it if nothing else I will have large chunk of iron for thermal mass in the shop.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thing is, it will take a week to reach room temp. Then you have to keep it heated and busy! What have you got there? Leblond, Monarch, Lodge & Shipley,G&L? I would think it would be around 15 to 20 hp. Looks good sir!

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    My wife will not let me build another shop, the intent to prevent any more hoarding. You are lucky you have the space for this beast.
    How big is the head stock through hole? My puny lathe has a 80mm through hole, but a shrimp in all other comparisons to 36" throw.
    I do understand, you've probably ran up against limitations of your current machines, this should fix that....... temporarily.
    My wife thinks that I should wait until I have my shop built before getting these things. But what if I had an opportunity to get one of these and my shop was already built
    new hobby lathe pencil sharpener-cincinnati_bickford_radial_arm_drill.jpg
    Or one of these
    new hobby lathe pencil sharpener-mesta_archive_example1.jpg
    Or possibly this for cracking black walnuts
    new hobby lathe pencil sharpener-mesta_machinery_company_forging_press_work_crew_fullsize.jpg
    Last edited by Frank S; Jun 28, 2019 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by owen moore View Post
    Thing is, it will take a week to reach room temp. Then you have to keep it heated and busy! What have you got there? Leblond, Monarch, Lodge & Shipley,G&L? I would think it would be around 15 to 20 hp. Looks good sir!
    When I looked at it I couldn't get close enough to see what it was or the HP but I'm thinking it should be upwards of 30 hp
    I have a 26" leblond with a 7.5 hp way under powered. my 17" Leblond is under powered as well it only has a 3 hp on it. I use to have a little victor 16x40 tool room lathe with 7.5 Hp on it now that was the perfect size motor for that lathe
    I also have a 1917 16inch Leblond with a 1 hp but the gears in it will only take about 1.5 to possibly 2 hp
    I have 3 8hp motors that I could build a rotary converter out of by paralleling them, with enough run capacitors I would be able to achieve a near perfect leg to leg balance at near full RPM then I would be able to run a 20 HP with no problem also a little hack that few know about is if you add capacitors to the machine's motor to help balance out the phases then switch it on and allow it to be an idler say you have a 3x8 converter running a 20 hp as an idler only you can power up an 40 hp machine down stream as long as your cableing and switch gear matches the largest of these motors. It works the same way as using 2 car batteries to start a larger vehicle as long as everything is in parallel
    But what I will probably do is have the electric company set a 2nd transformer and have 3 ph I already have a quad 00 service run but am only using 2 of the legs and the neutral.
    Last edited by Frank S; Jun 28, 2019 at 07:21 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 2, 2019)

Thanks
    Could go the amish rout and gang 2, v4 Wisconsin gas motors together with a massive flywheel to smooth things out. (In an effort of full disclosure I have a bit of an obsession with Wisconsin v4 motors ;-) )
    Eric

Thanks
    That IS a lathe to put a smile on one's face.
    The duly lift truck in the picture looks very much like the big lift my boss has at his shop. Put 8 gallons of hydraulic oil in it and still nothing on the dipstick. Told em to order another drum. Leaks just sitting. All said likely the most reliable lift truck he has after we converted it to lp. 12.5 k capasity but have picked around 14 at a guess, could only go straight, not enough weight on the steer wheels to turn. Not good when details don't matter and the office dwellers take on jobs the business is not equipped for, like 36" sch 80 concrete lined water main shipped at 40' lengths including casing and insulation.
    Eric

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suther51 For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Jun 28, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jul 2, 2019)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big lathe1v.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	30184
    Frank, from looking at the photo, it appears (at least to me) that the head stock and tail stock have a spacer added to raise them up. It may be some optical trickery I'm seeing. If this is the case, I wonder if this was a factory modification.

Thread Information