Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: New to the site and grateful for ideas

Thanks

New to the site and grateful for ideas

Hi everyone, I just covered then planted over a partially exposed sewer pipe from a house almost straight down to the city connection which is about a 50' drop. I attached a pulley to a 16' 5"x 5" board on top of the hill, tied off a hard line top to bottom and pulled 5 gallon buckets of dirt up the hill. There was no side to side movement of the system so dumping the dirt other than directly below the line was difficult at best.

I still have more hill to cover and plant (for erosion purposes) and I am looking for suggestions on a better system to move and spread the dirt.

Thank you in advance for suggestions.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Hi davidtm64 - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Interesting. Got any pics of the project as it stands now?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    This will be my first attempt to post a picture. I have 2 taken during the project, upper and lower hill. Missing is the rope and bucket used to haul the dirt, however the pulley assembly is attached to the hard line.

New to the site and grateful for ideas-hill-1.jpgNew to the site and grateful for ideas-hill-2.jpg

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    The pics came through just fine, nice work.

I'm wondering if something like a shingle lift would work here. Check these out: Homemade Tools Search: shingle lift - HomemadeTools.net

Thanks
    Thanks, I looked at that, it does not address the spreading over a large area. However I might be able to bring the dirt up without it secured to the hard line and that should allow me to spread it without restriction.

I go back on monday to continue the project, I will let you know if I try that.

Thanks for the input.

Thanks

jotasierra's Tools
    Hola David, que tarea titánica estas llevando, admiro tu voluntad para tan arduo trabajo, felicitaciones.

Thanks
    Would it be possible to bury one post say around 18 inches at each end of the lateral work area use a pulley at each post and rope too pull the bucket along your work area and dump the dirt that way? Are some varation of this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to douce1949 For This Useful Post:

Jon (Sep 19, 2016)

Thanks

Bullwinkle Moose's Tools

Earth moving on hill

Hi David, how is your project progressing? I have some ideas that might help you, but I need a little more information. Is this a personal project or one that you've contracted? Do you have a scheduled completion date when you have to have the job completed or no rush? Do you have a budget cap? It looks like the job scope is small, but a little complicated. You might consider hiring a earth moving service with a track hoe. If the job is personal and you're trying to economize, then you might consider a variation on a logging cable yarder with some sort of bottom dump trolley like this:New to the site and grateful for ideas-2b-runningskylinegrapple.gif

That might get a little pricey, but you could make it where it moves side to side. You could use a cable winch to move the trolley along the cable.

Just some quick thoughts. Good luck!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information