Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Hello

Thanks

Newbie Hello

Hello
    I recently acquired a Unimat SL and would like to try a model steam engine from Littlemachineworks. I've replaced the lathe spindle bearings and idler bearing. New belts and paint. I found a fixture table on eBay.

I am interested in learning how to learn how to used it, before I try real parts. Need to learn about Squaring it up, mounting material, some proper milling tools, etc.
    I've learned how to grind tools, and turn soft metal. I've made a center finder. Also, I have 2 Unimat book.
    Looking forward to see what's on the site.
    Thank you in advance.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,850 Times in 11,341 Posts
    Hi Melkal - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Here's a good link for Unimat build ideas: Homemade Tools Search: unimat - HomemadeTools.net

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Melkal View Post
    Hello
    I recently acquired a Unimat SL and would like to try a model steam engine from Littlemachineworks.

I am interested in learning how to learn how to used it, before I try real parts. Need to learn about Squaring it up, mounting material, some proper milling tools, etc.
    I've learned how to grind tools, and turn soft metal. I've made a center finder. Also, I have 2 Unimat book.
    I'm not familiar with "Littlemachineworks". Did you perhaps mean Littlemachineshop?

If you're just starting out, I would recommend avoiding engine kits that use castings. Make a few engines from easily-replaceable bar stock so it's easy to recover from the inevitable learning curve errors. Once you have some skills under your belt you can progress to kits that contain castings.

The engines designed by Elmer Verburg are all bar stock designs and run the gamut in complexity from simple single-cylinder, single-acting oscillators through multi-cylinder, double-acting factory engines and pumps. You can find free plans for all his engines here...

Elmers Engines Steam Engine Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Jon (Dec 10, 2017), Paul Jones (Dec 11, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Hi Melkal and welcome,

Both Marv Klotz and I have Unimat SL lathes that we have modified and added some very useful accessories. You should see the Unimat modifications published by Marv at http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/c...7367#post36932 and the work I published at http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...00-lathe-10111 . These Unimat SL modifications and accessories make these little lathes very useful.

Regards,

Paul Jones

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Paul Jones;103534]Hi Melkal and

Thank you both. I am intending to learn some basics before I cut kit parts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Melkal For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Dec 14, 2017)

Thanks
    I am wondering why I can't find a way to increment my Unimat in milling mode, to move the detail up and down in a controlled way, like a venier, without buying a vertical slide. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    I just noticed there were two articles in your reply and Marv's post showed a cool was to mount a micrometer. That will do it.thanks.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    I just noticed there were two articles in your reply and Marv's post showed a cool was to mount a micrometer. That will do it.thanks.
    The DI attachment shown in my post will allow you to measure the vertical motion of the slide accurately but it doesn't provide a means of moving the slide in a controlled fashion.

I have a design in mind to provide that functionality...

Look at the clamp in the next to last picture in my post. Now imagine that that clamp had attached to it a cylindrical collar that encircled the Unimat post. This collar to have external threads of a convenient pitch. Another collar, with matching internal threads is screwed on this collar.

In use, the clamp is locked on the post but the Unimat clamp is loosened. The milling head sits on the external collar. As this collar is turned it will rise/sink on the collar attached to the clamp and the milling head will rise/sink in a very controlled fashion which can be read on the DI attachment.

It should be fairly simple to build - simple enough to give it a try. With a bit of ingenuity one might even make it from repurposed plumbing parts.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    Hi Marv
    Can you please post a quick sketch of the improved vernier idea.
    Does the mill attachment get loosened and retightened to the vertical post
    before and after each adjustment?
    Thanks, Mel

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Does the mill attachment get loosened and retightened to the vertical post before and after each adjustment?
    For small height changes, the part with the male threads remains clamped to the Unimat post. The part with the female threads is rotated to raise or lower it. The Unimat power head, which bears on it, moves with it.

For large height changes beyond the span on the threads, the part with the male threads is loosened and moved. I would make the length of the threaded sections at least an inch or two so this loosening and retightening can be minimized.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thread Information