Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Newbie to site(Belt Grinder)

Thanks

Bevoblood's Tools

Newbie to site(Belt Grinder)

First post newbie. I just finished top part my 2" x 72" belt grinder. It not pretty but it runs smooth and grinds even better. I built it out of a treadmill motor and a motor control I got yers ago for a pitching machine build but ended up getting a good deal on one I found on CL.
    I made everything except the wheels and platen and the build is all repurposed materials.

A) The Steel is all 1/4" or 3/8" structure steel to keep from flex and vibrating
    B) The Adjustment Idler wheel is mounting bracket to mount computer monitor to the desk and worked perfect(salvaged)
    C) The D plates are 1/4" aluminum(salvaged)
    D) The Plate rest is 2 x 3/16" aluminum(salvaged)
    E) The Adjustment arm for the plate came of a gun shooting plexi-glass platform I built for my sons wheelchair. I wanted to incorporate something that reminds me of him since he passed away a few years ago.
    F) The plate is designed to angle in both directions since I can run the grinder forwards and backwards, then I use a digital angle meter to set the angle. The plate is also designed to slide off for flat grinding as well.
    G) It uses a gas spring to maintain tension and it designed to simply pull down and slide the belt off.
    H) The motor is controled speed by a potentiometer mounted on the control box.
    I) I mounted a blower to help keep platen cool powered by an old 24 volt laptop power supply.
    J) The Cabinet is salved pallet from work and the cabinet dolly someone threw away when they moved down the street.
    K) Total cost $275

Newbie to site(Belt Grinder)-belt-grinder-slide-1.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bevoblood For This Useful Post:

Jon (May 22, 2018), Neil Jensen (May 22, 2018), NortonDommi (May 24, 2018), olderdan (Jun 4, 2018), PJs (May 23, 2018), rossbotics (May 24, 2018), Seedtick (May 22, 2018), Sleykin (Dec 7, 2023), Tuomas (May 22, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    That seems to be well thinked. Extra + from the dust blower.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 23, 2018)

Thanks

THought you had made a whole herd of grinders

Would love to see you post individual photos. Can't get a good grasp with the smaller images. Nicely done.

Thanks

Bevoblood's Tools

Reposted Grinder pics

Newbie to site(Belt Grinder)-r-side-view-close-up-sm-.jpg Newbie to site(Belt Grinder)-20180522_204035-1-.jpg

Newbie to site(Belt Grinder)-20180522_204227-1-.jpg Newbie to site(Belt Grinder)-20180522_204709-1-.jpg

Newbie to site(Belt Grinder)-20180522_204439-1-.jpg Newbie to site(Belt Grinder)-20180522_204900-1-.jpg

Newbie to site(Belt Grinder)-front-view-close-up-sm-.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie to site(Belt Grinder)-belt-grinder-front-view-sm.jpg   Newbie to site(Belt Grinder)-belt-grinder-side-view-sm.jpg   Newbie to site(Belt Grinder)-front-view-close-up-sm-.jpg   Newbie to site(Belt Grinder)-l-side-close-up-sm-.jpg  
    Last edited by Bevoblood; May 23, 2018 at 05:30 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bevoblood For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 23, 2018), Sleykin (Dec 7, 2023)

Thanks

Bevoblood's Tools
    Reposted pics Toller

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bevoblood For This Useful Post:

Jon (May 23, 2018), PJs (Oct 14, 2018)

Thanks
    Now that is a belt sander, very nice and you will get plenty of satisfaction out of it.
    Very nice.
    Nelson

Thanks

Bevoblood's Tools
    Thanks Mr. Collar it was a lot of hard work and redesign along the way. It is the combination of several ideas and grinders I took inspiration from.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bevoblood For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 14, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Bevoblood! We've added your Belt Grinder to our Grinding category,
    as well as to your builder page: Bevoblood's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevoblood View Post
    Thanks Mr. Collar it was a lot of hard work and redesign along the way. It is the combination of several ideas and grinders I took inspiration from.
    It is certainly different from the normal square wheel. Was the idea here to be able to do slack grinding and square wheel grinding with out changing the setup? Or possibly a space savings measure?

Also it is kinda hard to tell from the pics but it looks like you have a cooler blowing on the back side of the platen? I think this is the first I've seen something like this.

Thanks

Bevoblood's Tools
    Wiz I just kind of took ideas from several types of grinders 2,3 and 4 wheel types and put them in mine,I took little things I liked about each design and incorporated them into something I liked. I wanted to be able to have it for multiple uses. I can take the front attachment plate off just by sliding it off easily and it makes it easier to square/flat grind sometimes. I can easily slide the D plate back to slack grind. I can easily slide attachment plate back on throw a quick digital angle meter on it and get the exact angle I want to put on a work piece. I can also quickly change the direction of the motor on the back of the control box since the power goes in via banana plug so just flip the cables in 5 seconds and I can put an angle on the plate in the other direction. This way I am not looking down into the workspace area. I can now easily see it since the work piece since it is out front now and not looking down into the workspace.
    Yes that is a 24 volt computer blower fan, the switch is small black box mounted with velcro on the side of the upright that is plugged into a 24 volt wall supply mounted with velcro on the back of the upright. It does a good job keeping the platen cool since it is a blower type fan and not a regular type fan and keeps the dust out of the way.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bevoblood For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jun 4, 2018), PJs (Oct 14, 2018)

Thread Information