Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Non jingling non stabbing key holder

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts
    RFID technology didn't really make me nervous until I read about "RFID dust". Also called "RFID powder" or "smart dust".

Non  jingling non stabbing key holder-hitachi_rfid.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    I'm more of a PKD or Daniel Seigel-Brainstorm kind of guy...the idea of rapid learning has always fascinated me....but implant...Not Yet...~¿@ ~PJ
    I think of it in the same way as mass transfer technology (Star Trek transporter-type stuff): I wouldn't want to be the first guy or the thousandth guy, but it's going to utterly change society and, at some point, I'd be itching to do it.

Ken

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    RFID technology didn't really make me nervous until I read about "RFID dust". Also called "RFID powder" or "smart dust".
    All sorts of surveillance applications for this stuff. It brings the old-school "brush pass" into the 21st century, nevermind the ability to shoot/project/spray it at a target or apply it to something you know the target will touch. You only need one mote to adhere and you own that target's every move. Countermeasure aside, of course.

Ken

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitachi_rfid.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	4089
    Yup, Yup... and that's the tip of the proverbial...water supply, soda pop...and the more sophisticated Nano's...Think I'll get me some of that Non-Stick Foil for a hat I have in mind. ~PJ

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
    I think of it in the same way as mass transfer technology (Star Trek transporter-type stuff): I wouldn't want to be the first guy or the thousandth guy, but it's going to utterly change society and, at some point, I'd be itching to do it.

Ken
    I hear you and I would be the first to volunteer to go to Mars if they'd take an old geezer. Yes it will change the face but think we jump the gun without thinking of the mass implications...long term, sometimes. The spin up is so fast now and off we go...And who is really behind RFID's and such anyway. Cleaning up the mess after something like that wouldn't be pretty.

If Perry hadn't gone or Neil Armstrong...someone would have, but that was a single purpose and only endangered a few, like your transporter idea...but the ramifications were and can be world Marks for humankind. Can-Am Drivers were another breed that brought untold things to the world...until they changed the rules...then there is the IRL. If we let the few test it and find out and refine it...then Think About it, then by all means let it out...IMHO ~PJ

Thanks
    Hey PJ,

I agree completely. That said, if we're going to restrict the tech for extended testing, I'd rather be one of the initial testers than wait for general release. But that's just me…

Neil is a great example of the right attitude. He was an excellent stick, but the flying (at least the test flying, including NASA) was, for him, incidental to the problem-solving. One of the all-time great engineering test pilots and a facet of the man too often overlooked in all the fuss over one notable achievement obvious to the masses. Many years ago, I saw his response when pushed once too often by some idiot reporter to confess his feelings while standing on the moon: (paraphrasing) "I didn't "feel" anything! It was a technical exercise; I was busy running checklists!" Exactly. Did he have a private moment of reflection? I'm sure he did, but it was just that: private. His feelings, to the extent he had any, were for his wife and family, not public consumption.

Another quick Armstrong story: after ejecting from the LLRV in early 1969, Pete Conrad found him at his desk a few hours later and asked him why he was there, as he'd almost been killed. His response is classic (and one that resonates with me as something I'd have said in that situation): "But I wasn't and I have work to do."

Anyway, you can tell that I'm passionate about our manned space program, past and (to the extent we still have one) present. Needless to say, I share the test pilot mindset.

Ken

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 30, 2015)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Neil is a great example of the right attitude. He was an excellent stick, but the flying (at least the test flying, including NASA) was, for him, incidental to the problem-solving. One of the all-time great engineering test pilots and a facet of the man too often overlooked in all the fuss over one notable achievement obvious to the masses.
    So Right Stuff in all the ways. I've read some of his stuff and agree...a great mind with great focus...plus courage. Wow! An Example for humankind. I'm with you on the Space program, since the mid 60's...actually since Telstar, but I digress. I read Mitchner's book, "Space" shortly after it came out and thought his efforts to base it in detail truth of the energy, mindsets and couragous people that helped him make that stand on the moon give me goose bumps still...plus some funny stuff...Epic Classic achievements.

And I may be with you on volunteering early as long as it does Not effect the masses in the process...after would be great!

~PJ

Thanks
    Neil, as I'm sure you know, never published an autobiography, but he did authorize one and gave its author extensive cooperation and access. The book, James Hansen's First Man, is highly recommended.

For anyone interested in the real behind-the-scenes nuts and bolts of NASA life during the '60s era, you'll enjoy Mike Collins' book Carrying the Fire. It's also by far the best-written of the astro auto-bios.

For a similar look at the shuttle era, check out Mike Mullane's Riding Rockets.

Anyway, I could chat about this stuff for hours. My friends know not to get me started unless they want to hear way more than the answer to their one, specific question.

Ken

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 31, 2015)

Thanks

jere's Tools
    I have a couple of friends that work for NASA. it must have been the wild west back then compared to the space program of today. one guy does nothing but test and retest the same sterling engine... it's been years of this I believe.

to go from the wonky German V2s leaving the earth's gravity in the time those guys did always blows my mind. I will have to keep an eye peeled for those books.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jere For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 31, 2015)

Thanks
    Jere
    That take the prize, I've seen a lot of things and that beat them all.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

jere (Jul 31, 2015)

Thread Information