Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Not just another machinist jack

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Not just another machinist jack

I really didn't have a need for another machinist jack but I did need something that I could use to mark a hole location
    the hole is 41/64 ths and a 5/8 grade 8 bolt must be used so alignment is paramount
    For this I really needed a transfer punch to mark the center but due to the location of the hole this was going to be next to impossible for all of the holes
    SO this gave me the idea of using a machinist jack with a point like that of a transfer punch the only jacks I had are 2 small factory made and are hardened and I didn't want to modify them either so this is what I came up with
    A jack made out of a piece of DOM tubing a 16MM 10.9 bolt and flange nut plus a piece of mystery metal shafting.
    The jack in normal configuration also has a washer welded inside the bottom so it can be mounted via "T" slot to a mill using a short bolt and a "T" nut
    Not just another machinist jack-20170422_162734aa.jpg
    Shown here are the jack base an extension the jack bolt and nut which are removable and the doweled transfer punch which can double duty as a locating dowel when multiple holes of the same spacing might need to be drilled by simply locating the previous hole on the locator dowel portion of the punch
    Not just another machinist jack-20170422_162814aa.jpg
    Shown here is the machinist jack with the extension I have a thin jam nut not shown in the pics for locking the jack to height
    Not just another machinist jack-20170422_162856aa.jpg
    Shown here as assembled with the extension and the doweled punch
    Not just another machinist jack-20170422_162908aa.jpg
    Shown here with the jack nut inverted for reduced height
    Not just another machinist jack-20170422_163005aa.jpg
    This is the location of 1 of 20 holes which must be located and drilled this one is one of the ones that I can actually see many of the others can only be touched or viewed by a mirror
    Not just another machinist jack-20170422_163029aa.jpg
    Shown here is the jack in place with the punch in the hole a simple turn of a wrench will make a center mark
    Not just another machinist jack-20170422_163116aa.jpg
    Inside of the chalk circle you can see the punch mark
    Not just another machinist jack-20170422_163328aa.jpg
    The nice thing about this set up is I can machine any size dowel or punch needed

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 4, 2020), Karl_H (Apr 2, 2020), lanemfg (Apr 24, 2017), LMMasterMariner (May 7, 2017), Moby Duck (Apr 22, 2017), Okapi (Apr 23, 2017), PJs (Feb 12, 2018), Scotty1 (Apr 2, 2020), Seedtick (Apr 23, 2017), sossol (Apr 3, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Apr 23, 2017), volodar (Jun 11, 2018)

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Hi Frank,
    A good idea to give us your pictures, I've make a 6mm. hole in many of my small jacks and use broken mill grind at 60° for this use, with a perfect precision.
    Have a nice day.
    Pierre

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Machinist Jack with Dowel Punch to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I really didn't have a need for another machinist jack but I did need something that I could use to mark a hole location
    the hole is 41/64 ths and a 5/8 grade 8 bolt must be used so alignment is paramount
    For this I really needed a transfer punch to mark the center but due to the location of the hole this was going to be next to impossible for all of the holes
    SO this gave me the idea of using a machinist jack with a point like that of a transfer punch...
    The nice thing about this set up is I can machine any size dowel or punch needed
    Almost a year later, a great idea, and still collecting views no doubt.
    Anybody can layout material before it's fabb'ed up; rework and repairs, [not to mention in place] are a complete different beast, no?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Feb 11, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Absolutely Toolmaker51, It is almost always easier to layout on new materials then fab from there. but when you have to locate and match up to existing holes particularly when they are obscured or difficult to get a straight line measurement little work arounds like this jack with a piloted punch point make life so much more pleasant

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Feb 12, 2018)

Thread Information