Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Old motor = New Belt Sander?

Thanks

Old motor = New Belt Sander?

How bout it fellas?

Ran across your group because I am looking to turn this B-Line motor into something useful for my workshop.

The motor is currently in a piece of Sh*! table saw configuration. I am looking to make a functional belt/table sander out of it.

Any suggestions?

Old motor = New Belt Sander?-img_3736.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Hi Rommel - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

We love these "what can I make from this?" discussions.

I'm going to move this into our Tools in Progress subforum so it will get more eyeballs.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    It seems you have a very good motor if works ok. Those motors were built last. From what I could see on the plate, it is a 1hp motor. That should run a belt sander ok. You might have to play with pulley setup to get the speed you need. Other than that good luck on your project. That motor takes a lot of amps for start up. You might have to use a 20 amp for it.

Thanks
    My initial suggestion is to go to somewhere like Harbor Freight and buy a tablesaw.There are some complex moving parts involved in a table saw. If you havent already taken your old one apart yet, you havent seen them. For time's sake and for the investment and safety, Im recommending you go buy another one. I have the same situation with an old Craftsman saw but to even change out a motor in one of those things is a total nighmare. I couldnt even imagine trying to build one. Not only do you have up and down movements on the blade you also have 'tilt'.
    Forget about it.

Thanks
    Everything is possible.
    But it is quite complicated to build a belt sander around the motor.
    How you going to build belt assembly?

Thanks
    Hi Rommel, The motor seems a good one but has a high start current (check house wiring and trip switch ratings). I would buy a purpose made belt sander and possibly convert the table saw to a really decent sized disc sander. Good luck.

Thanks
    Rommel, I have not built a sander, but have an old Dunlap 8 in. table saw that could be reworked. Any suggestions would be helpful. partimer

Thanks
    Hi Rommel... Some years ago I picked up an old 6" belt/9" disc sander (Craftsman) that ended up needing a new motor as well as a new stand to sit on, we ended up moving the same year, so it ended up in a box for later restoration... Project needs a couple of years ago forced me to go out and buy a 6" belt/9" disc combo from Harbor Freight which has been an excellent shop addition... May be more cost effective to go that route rather than building your own...
    I have also found that a 12" disc for a shop smith can be had quite inexpensively for building a big disc sander... There are lots of plans out there for building your own sander, so don't be afraid of it, just be sure you have the time and space for it... And don't be cheap when it comes to buying good bearings for your mechanism to ride on...
    That 1HP motor will have a high starting draw, so be sure to match it to the right amperage circuit (20A min.) you'll need to find a good mandrel with bearings for your project and that can be a pain... You may also have problems removing the pulley(s) from the motor as they sometimes end up heat fused and may take some heat to break them free again... Just be careful not to overheat the armature windings...
    If you have any interest in taking over my restoration project of that old craftsman, feel free to drop me a note... Don't know where you live, so shipping may be prohibitive... This mother is heavy... I have a heart issue now, so don't know if I will ever get it finished and put back together again...

Thanks

jotasierra's Tools
    Hola Rommel, que decir que no te hayan dicho, buen motor eso si como dicen en el momento de arranque te consumirá apro. 15 Amperios luego si es en 110 VOLT. trabajará con unos 7 a 8 amp. es conveniente una conexión directa al Tablero General de tu casa para no afectar la instalación eléctrica, una llave termomagnética de protección adecuada a su consumo y la correspondiente descarga a TIERRA. Realizar esa máquinaria te llevara buen trabajo, suerte en tu proyecto será hasta pronto.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information