Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: One man's junk..

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Unless I know for sure what I've got I always do the saw/file test before I get down to biz. I can't even imagine putting 1.5" thick piece of anything in an ironworker.

Were those guys in the Darwin Awards Frank? Seems like you've had more than your share of being around scary dodo's.

Working for most of my career as a solo mech I was not used to having people around till the last wage slave tour. I quickly learned who to distance myself from and made sure the stupider they were the further I was from them. Luckily I was old enough and experienced enough the powers that be didn't make me suffer fools. It was one of the few perks.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Well my first try at annealing this monster chunk of hardened steel was a flop.

I think I'm going to have to see if I can talk one of the local blacksmiths into tossing it in a forge. I had a blower and almost 10lbs of charcoal going and it never did show color I could see. pulled it outta the ash this morning and a file or hacksaw won't leave a mark. Time to drop back and punt.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    C-bag some the of worst accident prone guys I ever had working for me were the ones who had worked most of their lives in the autoworkers union and next were the ones laid off from Lockheed Martian. My little fabrication and machine shop was a magnet it seems for those guys. Due mostly because I paid better then many around the area and the fact that our shop did lots of contract fabrication to make jigs and fixtures for the larger production shops and even quite a bit for a couple of the CNC Automatics machine shops, since it was not economically feasible for them to maintain any manual machines in their inventory. A manual lathe or mill will take up the equivalent floor space of a CNC machining center ant that machine could produce 100 times the amount of product. However at the same time a good manual machine with a knowledgeable machinist could create the one off'sand small production runs in about the same amount of time as it took to create a program and do the tooling set up for the CNC machines of the day. Its a lot different today with the modern machining centers with their 20 to 50 tool racks and their more user friendly programming, but even at that many high production automatics companies find that they still need the support of a lower production machine usually one of their still serviceable older CNC machines
    The other side of that coin is it was far more cost effective for me to farm any of my production run parts out to one of the automatics after I had my prototyping done and was satisfied with my designs.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    MY key board is killing me just had one die now using the one on the laptop it keeps jumping will dig another one out

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information