Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Online Knurling Calculator

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools

Online Knurling Calculator

Knurling is one of those tough things to learn when starting out. For me it took several months to get to the point of making "Good Knurls" consistently. I developed this Knurling Calculator along the way and it has evolved now to this "Online" version that anyone can use. It's been tried and tested by at least 30 people with skills well above mine, plus my rigorous testing. It will calculate material sizes from .1-7" and also give you how much material is needed to be removed to start your knurling process.

I can say with confidence that this works with any knurling tool because it is based on the principle of an integer relationship of material size to knurl wheel diameter and number of teeth on the wheel. However, you will need to measure your wheels and count teeth, then enter the data in the appropriate fields along with your material size. Then the material size to turn to will automatically be displayed in the appropriate upper section. Keep in mind that only the "A6" & "Your Knurls" fields are left unlocked so as to prevent misplaced data from messing with the functions I have written in to it.

I have also include a Metric Knurl sheet which has some metric knurls in it and have left enough room for lots of other Metric brands and sizes.

I ended up writing quite a dissertation about it on my website starting with the basics and going through all the types and finally "My Method". So for the Newbies like me I would start there so you understand the fundamentals, remembering that just because you have a coolmacool spreadsheet doesn't mean you'll get "Good Knurls"!!

I do hope this helps others as it was quite a vigil for me to get to this point!

Enjoy and Happy Knurling...~PJ

Online Knurling Calculator-pjs-online-knurl-calc.jpg

Online Knurling Calculator-pjs-online-metric-knurl-calc.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

astroscuba (Nov 3, 2023), C-Bag (Aug 17, 2015), Catfish (Aug 18, 2015), Claudio HG (Aug 3, 2021), Corm (Dec 6, 2019), evaskp (Oct 23, 2016), janders1957 (Dec 5, 2019), jere (Aug 19, 2015), jjr2001 (Sep 4, 2016), Jon (Aug 17, 2015), kbalch (Aug 17, 2015), Mark Wieber (Dec 5, 2015), MeJasonT (Dec 6, 2019), Okapi (Mar 10, 2017), Raytonian (Sep 13, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Sep 11, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Wow, thanks for that PJs. I'm such a noob I didn't even know I didn't know!

I appreciate the time and effort you've put into this. I was thinking about ordering one of the scissor type knurlers from LMS because I was going to make a knurled shaft for tool for the lathe. You just saved me from a totally stupid blunder. Now to do my homework and grok the ton of info on your site.......

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 17, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanks PJs! I've added your Knurling Calculator to our Machining category, as well as to your builder page: PJs' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 17, 2015)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    Wow, thanks for that PJs. I'm such a noob I didn't even know I didn't know!

I appreciate the time and effort you've put into this. I was thinking about ordering one of the scissor type knurlers from LMS because I was going to make a knurled shaft for tool for the lathe. You just saved me from a totally stupid blunder. Now to do my homework and grok the ton of info on your site.......
    Thanks very much C-Bag! Hope the dissertation doesn't send you running from the room screaming. Hopefully it will help get you through that first phase of knurling. Holler if you have any questions, be glad to help.
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Nightshift's Tools
    Thanks for this excellent info PJ. Much appreciated. I always have trouble getting knurls consistent and maybe this will help sort out the mysteries!

By the way, I'm thinking of buying (or making) a cut knurler for my QCTP as I've read these are the most efficient way to cut and the easiest on your lathe when knurling. Have you used one? Cheers, Bill

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nightshift For This Useful Post:

Jon (Aug 18, 2015), PJs (Aug 19, 2015)

Thanks

Catfish's Tools
    Very Nice. I will be giving it a test. Thanks for the post, Randy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Catfish For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 19, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Thank you PJs for the link to your very informative web pages. I prefer the scissor-type knurling tool over the bump kind only because I can produce more consistent knurls with this method. I improved my scissor knurling tool by putting the adjusting nut at a safer distance from the lathe chuck (see Homemade Knurling Tool Improvement). I will using your spreadsheet for my next knurling project. Thanks, Paul

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 19, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Great share! As you've experienced, producing good knurls is not an easy thing to do. Developing and sharing this tool will benefit a lot of people.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 19, 2015)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshift View Post
    Thanks for this excellent info PJ. Much appreciated. I always have trouble getting knurls consistent and maybe this will help sort out the mysteries!

By the way, I'm thinking of buying (or making) a cut knurler for my QCTP as I've read these are the most efficient way to cut and the easiest on your lathe when knurling. Have you used one? Cheers, Bill
    Thanks for the kind words, Bill. I burned through a bunch of salvage material to get to the point of consistency and to test the spreadsheet, all the other parameters...plus a lot of "fingering" . Practice, practice, practice.

I don't have any experience with cut knurler's although have seen the results from a CNC using them and they were pretty spectacular. Love to see what you come up with and the results. ~PJ
    Mark Twain

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Thanks Randy, love to know how it works for You!
    Mark Twain

Thread Information