Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Online Knurling Calculator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Excellent.
    Good old excel can do ANYTHING!
    Kills me all the dough wasted on predatory [sorry, meant proprietary] software to accomplish tasks, because so many weren't paying attention in math classes.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 11, 2016), PJs (Sep 11, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 649 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    I agree. Spreadsheets are a powerful computer "language". If equations exist, spreadsheets can make them easy to use. Another way to use spreadsheets is to format numbers and text that can be simply printed out. I have a drill bit table that I like to use that was created this way.

I sometimes build spreadsheets on my PC and put them on my iPhone. Then I have a custom calculator in my pocket to run these prize spreadsheet in my shop or on the go.

Hats off to Excel and similar spreadsheet tools!

Rick

2000 Tool Plans
    Rick

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 11, 2016), PJs (Sep 11, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 11, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

Unjacked thread, off the cinder blocks

Excerpt of Mr. R. Sparber's quote. "I agree. Spreadsheets are a powerful computer "language". If equations exist, spreadsheets can make them easy to use. Another way to use spreadsheets is to format numbers and text that can be simply printed out.
    Hats off to Excel and similar spreadsheet tools!

Rick"

Yes, and voting again in favor of excel spreadsheets. Most creative use for me is textual in nature. Works in Word too, but figures are less convenient to manipulate, and columns don't want to play along. Bad dog!

I've been severely distracted past several days and haven't laid down a decent post. So...had written an entire description of my method. Now, somewhat addicted for the responses and hijacks good posts get. There really aren't any hijacks by the way. How on earth are 14000 HMTer's going to follow and respond in some mindless cadence? Good luck with that! I've seen 5-6 different languages, who knows how many translations, over at least 3 continents.

Then my second best friend, "copy/ paste" (is that trans-gender? ) told me with all the \o/ spooook-yyy-ness \o/ it could generate; Post this as a tool you fool or you're a tool! In tutu and toe shoes too!! Certainly ain't got the legs for that! Spare yourselves the visuals - Ctrl C and notepad are residing in the toolbar.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    I've been severely distracted past several days and haven't laid down a decent post. So...had written an entire description of my method. Now, somewhat addicted for the responses and hijacks good posts get. There really aren't any hijacks by the way. How on earth are 14000 HMTer's going to follow and respond in some mindless cadence? Good luck with that! I've seen 5-6 different languages, who knows how many translations, over at least 3 continents.
    I bet Jon could do it with an SQL Data base...might be an interesting thought, but the languages thing might throw a wrench in the monkeyworks. However the Queries "Would Be" spookily interesting!

~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 11, 2016)

Thanks
    Great Job. This is a very productive idea for using a spreadsheet program. Most spreadsheet programs have formula creation capability for producing numerical results, however some require a great deal of experience using the various programs.
    Your idea is a good model of what can be achieved.
    Again Good Job.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KD7IIA For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 11, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by KD7IIA View Post
    Great Job. This is a very productive idea for using a spreadsheet program. Most spreadsheet programs have formula creation capability for producing numerical results, however some require a great deal of experience using the various programs.
    Your idea is a good model of what can be achieved.
    Again Good Job.
    Thank you Kindly KD7IIA! This is not much more than a lookup table but works well, for something I had a hard time with. I build them all the time for all kinds of things, sometimes using VBA to clean them up...but simple, easy to use is good in my book.

Thanks again for your kind comment! ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Okapi (Mar 10, 2017)

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Hi,
    I've read with interest the discussion about this calculation formula, which is mathematically a right way, but I want just to give an idea for people who make knurling on small parts especially with steel we call "silver steel", it's steel which can be hardened by heating.
    With a perfectly cleaned system, if you can find Mica powder(small flakes in reality), a silicate, used with something like WD40 it gives a result similar as the graphite powder, the particles "cut" by the wheels doesn't stay on the work and you have a cleaner appearance with as is my feeling less effort on the lathe, it's important to put the WD40 or similar on the work when turning in good quantity, the mica stay on the wheels and they are cleaner as with oil when finished.
    It's not really about the subject, but can eventually help somebody.
    Have a nice day.
    Pierre

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Okapi For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Oct 26, 2017), PJs (Oct 26, 2017)

Thanks
    PJ's
    is there a Site? or is it just the chart? I may be having a reeree moment here but wannted to make sure cause the way I read it it allowed you to input data to get computational data back for knurling work Yes?
    Thanx either way

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Charron63 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 26, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Hi Pierre,

Your suggestion for using mica powder is something I would lie to try. Where is mica powder sold.

I do a lot of knurling and almost always have perfect results with all types of steels but I hate knurling in brass. Brass has too many fine flakes and I have to use a Noga Cool Mist system with lots of coolant to overcome the mess brass produces. On steels I only have to use my lathe way oil with pump oilier (use a lubrication type-oil and not a cutting oil for knurling) and a small brass brush to clean the top knurl in a scissor knurler to get consistent results. Never use a brush for applying lubrication because no matter how careful you are, sooner or later the brush bristles will get caught in the knurling wheels and the whole brush will be sucked in (I know from experience). By the way, I used to calculate by hand for the knurl diameter specs but now use the Android phone app "Knurling Calculator" but it only calculates for Imperial specifications.

Regards,

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Oct 27, 2017 at 07:12 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 26, 2017)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Charron63 View Post
    PJ's
    is there a Site? or is it just the chart? I may be having a reeree moment here but wannted to make sure cause the way I read it it allowed you to input data to get computational data back for knurling work Yes?
    Thanx either way
    Hi Charron63,
    The "knurling pages" are on my website were I explain in painful detail how I arrived at these formulas. I used to have the calculator "On Line" for free on the site but Google changed the rules again, so I donated it to HMT to collect a small fee ($5) to support the forum and for all the great work and people here. Here is the link to the Knurl Calculator files and instructions.

I created the Calculator in MS EXCEL but it will open in most spreadsheet programs I believe. Yes, you can input data and it will automatically calculate the diameter needed to get "Good Knurls" with Little Machine Shops knurl tool and wheels and a few others I have measured including a "Metric Wheel Sheet". You can also measure your wheels and count the teeth and enter that data to get automatic values for you.

Hope this helps. ~PJ

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Oct 26, 2017), Paul Jones (Oct 27, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Oct 26, 2017)

Thread Information