Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Organizer for drills and threading tools

Supporting Member Vyacheslav.Nevolya's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,240 Times in 338 Posts

Vyacheslav.Nevolya's Tools

Organizer for drills and threading tools

Homemade organizer for drills and threading tools. Sheet metal 2mm.
    Organizer for drills and threading tools-img_20170527_110118.jpg Organizer for drills and threading tools-img_20170527_134542.jpg Organizer for drills and threading tools-img_20170527_150348.jpg Organizer for drills and threading tools-img_20170527_154241.jpgOrganizer for drills and threading tools-img_20170527_154402.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Vyacheslav.Nevolya For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (May 28, 2017), LMMasterMariner (May 31, 2017), olderdan (May 28, 2017), Paul Jones (May 28, 2017), piro222 (Feb 19, 2018), rlm98253 (May 27, 2017), Seedtick (May 27, 2017), volodar (May 29, 2017)

Thanks

Hemi's Tools
    -Now to just make these organizers all fit within a cabinet..... be cool in a small shop!!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    For $18 ...

Tap and Drill Stands - Penn Tool Co., Inc

it's almost not worth the time to build unless you have a lot of specialty taps.

Having the tap and clearance drill right there next to the tap has saved me immense amounts of time over the years.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

volodar (May 29, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Very nice work, how did you get the brass finish it looks great.

Thanks

Hemi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    For $18 ...

Tap and Drill Stands - Penn Tool Co., Inc

it's almost not worth the time to build unless you have a lot of specialty taps.

Having the tap and clearance drill right there next to the tap has saved me immense amounts of time over the years.
    Marv,
    I don't see that in the pic they show for the stand. is the tap right next to the "thread" drill? and then beside the thread drill, a clearance drill too? It looks in the picture as though the taps are on the outside, and the drills on the inside...... I do have a TON of taps and drills for them I use a lot that be GREAT to have a rack for the ones I use the most.....

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Good idea for keeping often-used drill bits, taps, dies/holders together. I'll make mine out of wood, however. It's much faster...time is not on my side!

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
    Marv,
    I don't see that in the pic they show for the stand. is the tap right next to the "thread" drill? and then beside the thread drill, a clearance drill too? It looks in the picture as though the taps are on the outside, and the drills on the inside...... I do have a TON of taps and drills for them I use a lot that be GREAT to have a rack for the ones I use the most.....
    I'm not certain about the one pictured in the URL; I only used that to demonstrate what I was talking about.

Mine, and all the others I've seen first hand, are arranged as follows, reading left to right...

NC tap
    NC tap drill
    NC/NF clearance drill
    NF tap drill
    NF tap

Mine accommodates taps in the range between #2 and 1/2". Taps smaller than #2 are so delicate that I made a small dedicated holder for them and their tap/clearance drills.

The tools in this holder are my working tools. I have a lot more taps (extras, unusual threads and metric) and dies. These are kept in individual pill vials (old guys take a lot of meds) in a large box. On the cap of each vial is written the major diameter and pitch as well as the tap drill size. For the writing I use a color code...

black - right hand inferial sizes
    green - left hand inferial sizes
    red - metric

for easy selection.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Hemi (May 29, 2017)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I've drilled many wooden blocks for storage of bits such as these $18 ones. Great time savers for common sizes...no need to open a drill index box, then flip-up the holders, etc. Just make certain you replace in the wooden block hole after use.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by volodar View Post
    I've drilled many wooden blocks for storage of bits such as these $18 ones. Great time savers for common sizes...no need to open a drill index box, then flip-up the holders, etc. Just make certain you replace in the wooden block hole after use.
    The standard 115 drill index can be made more usable by some judicious marking as discussed here...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/h...old-eyes-27754

I've made lots of drilled wooden block stands for tools. I've noticed two problems...

To keep the size of the block down (my shop is small and crowded), holes should be spaced proportionately, not drilled along an equidistant grid. Working out the proportionate spacing can be tedious and time consuming.

Wood moves and a hole drilled with the drill meant to go in that hole can easily close up slightly and prevent the drill dropping in easily. I found this especially true with brad point spiral wood drills, the type with the prescorers at the edges of the tip. Of course, one can always drill larger holes but that is just another complication.

Nevertheless, the drilled block is cheap and easy and, done right, can be a satisfying project.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks

Hemi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I'm not certain about the one pictured in the URL; I only used that to demonstrate what I was talking about.

Mine, and all the others I've seen first hand, are arranged as follows, reading left to right...

NC tap
    NC tap drill
    NC/NF clearance drill
    NF tap drill
    NF tap
    This is exactly what I was referring too! -I had to ask as the way you typed it out makes the most sense in how the holder would work on your bench or in a cabinet built for suck type holders.... (which one day will be my plan!)

-I'm not an old guy, really, BUT I'm on a TON of meds myself, and those pill vials in the standard sizes I get are saved for such tasks! I put all my "supply" in them, and only keep one of each item (drills and taps) out on the bench! Till it either A. wears out, or B. I break it..... LOL I plan to make a rotary rack to have each lid fastened to a board, on a octagon center, to spin with the same size bottles on every board around the octagon!

Thread Information