Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Organizer for drills and threading tools

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Vyacheslav.Nevolya! We've added your Tap and Drill Bit Organizer to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: Vyacheslav.Nevolya's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
    This is exactly what I was referring too! -I had to ask as the way you typed it out makes the most sense in how the holder would work on your bench or in a cabinet built for suck type holders.... (which one day will be my plan!)

-I'm not an old guy, really, BUT I'm on a TON of meds myself, and those pill vials in the standard sizes I get are saved for such tasks! I put all my "supply" in them, and only keep one of each item (drills and taps) out on the bench! Till it either A. wears out, or B. I break it..... LOL I plan to make a rotary rack to have each lid fastened to a board, on a octagon center, to spin with the same size bottles on every board around the octagon!
    Rotating racks, especially those with several tiers, one above the other, are great - especially if they can be placed in a corner. Efficiently using the space in a corner is not an easy thing to do and rotating racks work best. That's why you often see them in kitchen corner cabinets. All my corners have lazy susans, some purchased and some homemade.

However, in this case I'm not sure it's best. Since in this case you're storing material that will be only very occasionally accessed, the relatively low storage density of a rotating rack may not be warranted. A box or drawer with the vials closely packed but having the labeled tops visible may be a better use of space.

My box of tightly packed vials is covered with several other boxes that must be moved to access the vials yet I need to access it so seldom that moving stuff to get to it is not annoying.

Of course, my shop is tiny and really crowded; you may have enough space that this is not a concern.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (May 30, 2017)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    [QUOTE=mklotz;93832]Rotating racks,
    A box or drawer with the vials closely packed but having the labeled tops visible may be a better use of space.

I like your idea of storing the vials vertically in a box or drawer but beware of only labeling the lids. Make sure that you label the sides of the vial as well because there is a good chance of mixing up the lids. Found out the hard way with spice jars labeled only on the lid. What a disaster that was. Now I would never just pull a tap or drill from a vial and not check it, but it would still be annoying checking all of the other vials if you found one with the wrong crossed over lid.
    p.s. Just found your earlier post on colour coding the labeling and I like that idea too.
    Last edited by Moby Duck; May 30, 2017 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    [QUOTE=Moby Duck;93871]
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Rotating racks,
    A box or drawer with the vials closely packed but having the labeled tops visible may be a better use of space.

I like your idea of storing the vials vertically in a box or drawer but beware of only labeling the lids. Make sure that you label the sides of the vial as well because there is a good chance of mixing up the lids. Found out the hard way with spice jars labeled only on the lid. What a disaster that was. Now I would never just pull a tap or drill from a vial and not check it, but it would still be annoying checking all of the other vials if you found one with the wrong crossed over lid.
    p.s. Just found your earlier post on colour coding the labeling and I like that idea too.
    Thanks for the warning but I can't remember ever having two of the vials open at the same time. In addition, my OCD is strong when it comes to keeping things in their proper containers.

There's a more common mistake to watch for when threading. Taking the tap and clearance drill (both of similar sizes) to the mill at the same time can easily lead to drilling the hole to be threaded with the latter. I've only actually done it once but have come close on several occasions.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    [QUOTE=mklotz;93879]
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post

There's a more common mistake to watch for when threading. Taking the tap and clearance drill (both of similar sizes) to the mill at the same time can easily lead to drilling the hole to be threaded with the latter. I've only actually done it once but have come close on several occasions.
    Especially true with the size taps you are most likely to use in model making

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

olderdan (May 31, 2017)

Thread Information