Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Panzer tank hull being quenched

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Buck I did not mean to imply that the hull was a forging what I said was there are forgings utilized in the making of tanks. and yes the panzer could have been a welded assembly of welded parts then as you said heated to normalize and harden. The process of doing something like that bringing it to a full red color would be extremely stressing on any welded areas as rolled plate steel has a natural directional grain which cause it to expand in differing directions when heated. One reason for my belief that this is a steel casting is the lack of any fixtures jigs or braces to be seen which would be very prevalent if this were a weldement as such items are never removed prior to heat treating. otherwise the whole assembly could become misshapen to the extent of being scrap metal.
    Whereas a homogeneous casting is grain neutral even when poured by multiple crucibles as long as the plug remained at temperature.
    I was once hired or rather asked do do a favor by the owner of a company that had a contract fabricating transport fixtures for the engines that were used on one of the fighter jets For Lockheed Martian, see if I might have or be able to come up with a solution for their problem. They were experiencing a near 100% NO-GO rating on their fixtures after they returned from heat treatment. the Gov inspector would sign off on the fixture prior to heat treating for fit finish and tolerances . Upon their return he failed every one of them. some measurements would be undersized some over sized some out of dimensional squareness , parallel, angles were off, you name it if there was a possibility to be wrong they would be. then they started sending them in still in fixtures this made an improvement but still not within specs. I started noting the dependencies then I noticed a pattern of the under and over out of square and so forth so once I thought I had most of it figured out I instructed the companies engineers to spec out some new fixtures with built in adjustments plus add in some fixtures in several different places most of those could not be put in place until the weldement was completed.
    After the G man signed off on the assembly to sent it out for treatment we tweaked the jigs here and there by just a little more than the final discrepancies were and added in the extra fixtures. then sent the one frame out to be treated when it returned we removed all of the fixtures prior to final inspection as was SOP
    the frame received an 80% pass which was close enough for the G man to say that it could be ground and reamed and utilized.
    After that first passing grade all of their frames passed even closer to specs by the end of their contract I heard they were obtaining a near perfect pass rating
    I got a brand new 1984 Hobart Meg a arc 400 amp diesel welding machine for my troubles out of the deal
    not to worry,, i was just adding what little bit i felt comfortablw with observing,, buck

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    A Leopard 1 Tank cut in half.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

rlm98253 (Oct 26, 2018), Seedtick (Oct 26, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 26, 2018), volodar (Oct 27, 2018), will52100 (Oct 26, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Cutaway is stupendous!
    Must of been a huge bandsaw....Not being ex-Calvary or armor, I can only reason out a portion of components. Anyone aware of a labeled view?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 29, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Cutaway is stupendous!
    Must of been a huge bandsaw....Not being ex-Calvary or armor, I can only reason out a portion of components. Anyone aware of a labeled view?
    My approach would be what I see Tuomas do all the time - but for this situation, a BIG angle grinder with suitable cutoff wheel.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volodar For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 29, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 27, 2018)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Ship saw? Really though, I don't think they cut it in half uniformly like you might cut a sandwich in half. Probably a lot of planning so that they get the best museum-quality cutaway display. Not sure though! Maybe they used one of these:

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Nov 3, 2018), PJs (Oct 29, 2018), ranald (Nov 3, 2018), Seedtick (Nov 3, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 27, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Ship saw? Really though, I don't think they cut it in half uniformly like you might cut a sandwich in half. Probably a lot of planning so that they get the best museum-quality cutaway display. Not sure though! Maybe they used one of these:

I like bandsaws plenty, but over-the-top is just crazy. This I'm certain is a wood cutting blade judging by tooth form, and 3 pitch. 3 per foot, not 3 per inch! Most astounding is the width. Used to be a comparably large saw on display, in lumber yard parking lot; 1980's Huntington Beach, CA., on Bolsa Chica south of 405 Fwy. That blade was about 3" wide, maybe 1/8" thick. I notice back side has abbreviated teeth too. Maybe this is for re-sawing of timber, back teeth to reduce binding, possibly more kerf as well.
    And what's going on with one in upper left of picture? Pretty inconvenient storage?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 29, 2018)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Centurion cut in half. 1:28 video:

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 29, 2018), Seedtick (Nov 3, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    These cutaway displays are not cut in half as one might think. First whatever the model to be cut open happens to be the first step is a complete disassembly
    then they are cut by which ever happens to be the favored method. For the unusually thick Steel this is often done much like the breakers at scrap yards do by using a huge cutting torch some things are cut with demolition saws like my Sthil AS510 Av mine has a 12" blade guard but up to a 16" can be used
    Panzer tank hull being quenched-20181029_132932.jpgb.jpg

Panzer tank hull being quenched-20181029_132949.jpgb.jpg
    other methods could include the diamond cable saw like those sometimes used to cleave granite slabs
    or a band saw on anything that could be fit through one.
    Once the sections are cut apart the model is cleaned and painted then re assembled sometimes even the smaller assemblies are cut open as well
    A guy told me one time that it can very easily cost double or triple to make a cutaway model as it did to manufacture it as a whole machine.
    Some manufactures will actually cast or build a cut away model at the time of the machines original production run.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Jon (Oct 29, 2018), PJs (Nov 4, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Nov 2, 2018), volodar (Oct 30, 2018)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    You're right, "cutaway" is more accurate than cut in half. Only something that is symmetric across the cut plane would best be cut "in half". Must take an extraordinary amount of planning. A tank is an excellent candidate for this type of display; visually interesting, complex, tightly-packed, and even enthusiasts may have never actually been inside of one.

Thanks

Chips O'Tool's Tools
    Using diamond tools on steel at high speed is not a great idea, because the diamond dissolves into the metal.

Thread Information