Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Pigeon trap - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,544 Times in 11,260 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

bigtrev8xl (Oct 16, 2018), EnginePaul (Apr 28, 2019), Frank S (Oct 15, 2018), PJs (Oct 17, 2018), Seedtick (Oct 15, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I'd like one of those (much bigger) for our native protected Scrub turkeys. Here in Queensland one is allower to catch "one only" scrub turkey and relocate it to virgin bush "crown" owned land. Some so & so has dumped a dozen on our 5 acre block. I'm really ticked off as no one claims responsibility (may be the ira).One can make such a mess let alone several.Guess I'll have to invest in some techno cameras as it is not the first time.

2000 Tool Plans

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Wonder if a Cat might get reservations for lunch at that cafe?
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Wonder if a Cat might get reservations for lunch at that cafe?
    The feral cats seem to not be able to catch these birds: they kill everything else. Possibly the bird size & the fact that they fly high into the tree tops when spooked. They have been protected for yonks & when illegal hunting of the birds did exist, when our laws allowed fire arms, a hunter needed a specially trained dog to flush them out then stay perfectly poised for the hunter to gain a vantage point to aim & shoot. 22 cal was all that was needed & low velocity was best so as not to gain attention even in hundreds of acres of scrub. The meat is way to rich for my blood. Sometimes pelleted shot guns were used in very large properties but spitting out the pellets made the experience even less palatable. Old birds are like tough bill tong or jerky.
    The hunting dogs needed to be very fit, and have qualities of a spanial, pointer,& retriever: kelpies were usually trained & sometimes blue cattle dogs: red cattle dogs (have dingo in blood line) seemed too agressive. Some fox terriers also made good turkey hunters.
    Last edited by ranald; Oct 20, 2018 at 12:50 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 21, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Years ago, I used to know an old Portuguese family out by the coast who had been there since 1860-70's and had a huge dairy farm (Spanish land grant from earlier). One of the largest in the area. Their milk barns were huge and had metal corrugated roofs on them and the pigeons/birds would ruin them in a few years to the point of leaking from poop and rust. I helped out around the place on the weekends and summers and got sole hunting rights for their property. Every so often I'd bring my Benjamin 22 pellet rifle and an old Stevens 22 with a box of BB caps. Became a field day for the heard of cats that hung out below. Helped deliver a stuck calf one time and had all the fresh milk right out of the 1000 gallon tanks I could drink...just the best. Called me one time for a Bobcat that was spooking the cows and the Bulls and thought I would get a rug out of it but he had the mange. A couple of bucks over the years and all the quail we all could eat and lots of great fun meals with them and sitting on the front porch at the end of the day! When I got back from college I rode out to see them and the gate was blocked off...some scraggly grunge road out on a quad with an AK strapped on his back...Synanon!!!

Turned out the older brother (George) of 4 had passed away and the taxes on the land were eating them alive and having to sell off acreage every year to pay them. The rest threw in the towel as George was really the glue of the family. George used to tell me stories of the place and their heritage and that the original place was "as far as you could see from a particular hill top". Many a story and memories for me and their family, now...Mostly sad that they had to let it go to those jokers.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Years ago, I used to know an old Portuguese family out by the coast who had been there since 1860-70's and had a huge dairy farm (Spanish land grant from earlier). One of the largest in the area. Their milk barns were huge and had metal corrugated roofs on them and the pigeons/birds would ruin them in a few years to the point of leaking from poop and rust. I helped out around the place on the weekends and summers and got sole hunting rights for their property. Every so often I'd bring my Benjamin 22 pellet rifle and an old Stevens 22 with a box of BB caps. Became a field day for the heard of cats that hung out below. Helped deliver a stuck calf one time and had all the fresh milk right out of the 1000 gallon tanks I could drink...just the best. Called me one time for a Bobcat that was spooking the cows and the Bulls and thought I would get a rug out of it but he had the mange. A couple of bucks over the years and all the quail we all could eat and lots of great fun meals with them and sitting on the front porch at the end of the day! When I got back from college I rode out to see them and the gate was blocked off...some scraggly grunge road out on a quad with an AK strapped on his back...Synanon!!!

Turned out the older brother (George) of 4 had passed away and the taxes on the land were eating them alive and having to sell off acreage every year to pay them. The rest threw in the towel as George was really the glue of the family. George used to tell me stories of the place and their heritage and that the original place was "as far as you could see from a particular hill top". Many a story and memories for me and their family, now...Mostly sad that they had to let it go to those jokers.
    Some so & so probably in, or contacts in government wanted the land for ulterier motives. Seen that happen with rellies and council wouldn't allow them to do anything & as soon as it was sold BINGO for the new owners.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information