Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: pin vise from recycled parts

Thanks

penca's Tools

pin vise from recycled parts

hi guys
    i made this thing a long time ago when after many years stick welding i entered the tig world
    as any newbie to tig knows, dipping the tungsten is part of the learning curve and the tungstens keep getting shorter and shorter with the sharpenings.
    so short in fact that they are hard to hold safely against the stone (or diamond wheel) when you use a standard bench grinder so i fought with the little tungstens for a while
    some day i burned a dremel moto tool and went shopping for a new rotor, to my surprise it came with a new collet socket/point whatever (without collets and nut)
    and watching the soon to be trashed old rotor i came with the idea (miraculously)
    the dremel has collets for 1,6mm (1/16") and 2,4mm (3/32") perfect for the tungstens so i went back to the power tools parts shop for a nut and collets!
    well the pictures are self explanatory, i only had to make the hole in the aluminium rod deep enough for 175mm tungstens so in a pinch i could use it as a scribe
    oh to remove the tip from the axle as is only a press fit, heat lightly and punch out
    hope this little tool reinforces the idea of recycling

cheers

pete

pin vise from recycled parts-dsc01732.jpgpin vise from recycled parts-dsc01733.jpgpin vise from recycled parts-dsc01731.jpgpin vise from recycled parts-dsc01736.jpgpin vise from recycled parts-dsc01740.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penca For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 14, 2016), Toolmaker51 (May 17, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks penca! We've added your Pin Vise to our Workholding category,
    as well as to your builder page: penca's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (May 13, 2016)

Thanks
    Pete
    I like that and we all have had a dremel tool go south. Nice reuse and love it as a scribe. Very nice job.
    Thanks

Thanks

penca's Tools
    thanks man glad you liked. i hate throwing stuff that might work for something else (excuse for hoarding...) and yes for scribe works wonders but i used 16mm (5/8") od by 100mm (4") long aluminium round stock and it`s a bit thick. if i had any at the moment i would`ve used 1/8" pipe (sort of 3/8" od) that would`ve been perfect

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information