Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Pinion shaft bearing race install tool

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Pinion shaft bearing race install tool

Installing the outer race in many things requires a special install tool
    For the Ford 7.5 diff I decided to make 1 tool to install both the inner and outer races in the housing
    Years ago I had many of these tools that I had made back when I was doing an average of 3 to 5 differentials a week But time marches on and old tools disappear
    So I machine this one today.
    Click on image for larger view
    Pinion shaft bearing race install tool-20180708_190657.jpgx.jpg
    Pinion shaft bearing race install tool-20180708_190808.jpgx.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jul 9, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Jul 11, 2018), PJs (Jul 9, 2018), rossbotics (Jul 10, 2018), Seedtick (Jul 9, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jul 21, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Looks like that will work

Doug

2000 Tool Plans
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Pinion Shaft Bearing Race Tool to our Automotive category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Bearing race tool
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Installing the outer race in many things requires a special install tool
    For the Ford 7.5 diff I decided to make 1 tool to install both the inner and outer races in the housing
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180708_190657.jpgx.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	24663
    Unlike commercial versions, accommodating both races common to a single housing is a benefit. Manufacturing-wise that wouldn't seem efficient; chuck and reverse an item, compared to simple turning of bar stock and part-off, plus a small amount of added material to package.
    But then, we can make what works, often equal to what makes others run to the store.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Bearing race tool

Unlike commercial versions, accommodating both races common to a single housing is a benefit. Manufacturing-wise that wouldn't seem efficient; chuck and reverse an item, compared to simple turning of bar stock and part-off, plus a small amount of added material to package.
    But then, we can make what works, often equal to what makes others run to the store.
    Back when I was doing a lot of this type of rebuilds. I often made these duel and in some cases triple use install tools I found that they saved me a lot of time. Since I wouldn't have to search through a ready made set for the proper sized tool. I wold stamp them to identify the bearing race they fit as well as what unit they were used on.
    My seal install tools were actually more important to me than the bearing race tools since I made mine to not only protect the integrity of the seals but set the depth of install as well when ever possible.
    My hydraulic repair station for pumps/ motors, valves and cylinders had 100's of specialty tools that I made

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Yessir, you can practically throw bearings at a housing compared to seals. In a shop not far back, we rebuilt Becker and similar air pumps; carbon vanes in slotted rotor affairs. Huge demand for these in the print/ general paper industries. Between chucking the rotors [very fine cast iron] to turn and sleeve fresh metal that seals could run on and reassembly, getting them buttoned up seemed more intense.

Should have shot pics of the turning worktables. 30" steel discs welded to a vertical post of tubing, with about 10 3/8" holes drilled around perimeter. Two large used bearings, tapered up top, roller at the bottom, set in larger tubing welded to one corner of a larger worktable. A spring loaded pin lined up with the disc holes through the main table, to hold whatever position was convenient. A small jib crane mounted on adjacent wall raised and lowered the pumps, far more efficient than messing with a fork or some type of lift table.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 23, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Yessir, you can practically throw bearings at a housing compared to seals. In a shop not far back, we rebuilt Becker and similar air pumps; carbon vanes in slotted rotor affairs. Huge demand for these in the print/ general paper industries. Between chucking the rotors [very fine cast iron] to turn and sleeve fresh metal that seals could run on and reassembly, getting them buttoned up seemed more intense.

Should have shot pics of the turning worktables. 30" steel discs welded to a vertical post of tubing, with about 10 3/8" holes drilled around perimeter. Two large used bearings, tapered up top, roller at the bottom, set in larger tubing welded to one corner of a larger worktable. A spring loaded pin lined up with the disc holes through the main table, to hold whatever position was convenient. A small jib crane mounted on adjacent wall raised and lowered the pumps, far more efficient than messing with a fork or some type of lift table.
    For all that seals are in some high speed or high pressure applications they are so delicate that a single trapped dust particle can cause failure and dry assembly is totally out of the question.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 23, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jul 23, 2018)

Thread Information