Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pipe stretcher - photo

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    What about practical jokes on unpaid employees, er, children?
    Instead of demonstrating to my daughters what a jerk I was, I spent the time teaching them how to:

check the vehicle fluids
    change a tire
    drive a stick shift

Eventually, one daughter had to teach her future husband how to drive her stick shift car. He was amazed that she had that skill. The other daughter astounded her eventual husband by showing him her toolbox. He still jokes that he married her because she owned her own electric drill.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

ranald (Jun 22, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Jun 20, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jun 22, 2019)

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    "A nice incarnation of the classic plumber's apprentice "get the pipe stretcher" joke."

I always heard it was sending the plumber's apprentice off – to get a spool of left-handed pipe thread.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    The problem with pranks impractical jokes and all things related is things have a way of escalating. I always hated to have to terminate the employment of someone because they either needed the job or more importantly I needed the production from their labors to be able to afford having them employed in the first place. We hired a lot young persons back when I first started my fabrication shop temporary or summer work. My way of thinking was if I could get someone new to the work force and over time teach them a skill they could use throughout their lives regardless if they remained working for us or moved on to bigger and better things at least I could feel good about giving them a start towards a possible career and hopefully a leg up on life in the short time they would be working for us.
    Along with the young and some much older persons as well though. There always seems to be that one or two who no matter what you did, would constantly try my patience. One time we had to such characters an 18 year old and a man almost my age at the time nearing 40. I don't know how long they had been pulling pranks on each other but one day their pranks came out of the closet so to speak, and one of them got injured Not bad but serious enough to require administering first aid. When the first aid cabinet was ever opened I wanted to know/ had to know why. Did a wrench slip and a guy skinned his knuckles did he hit his thumb with a hammer or get something in an eye or a grinder disk explode what was the reason.
    Oh me and so and so did something stupid and I may have jammed or broken my index finger its alright I'll just use a finger splint and bind it up and return to work.
    Not until I hear the whole story you won't and then you are going to the emergency room for an x ray that is why I have to pay a percentage of your salary every month to an insurance company.
    As it turned out the older guy was getting back at the younger for a prank he had pulled by stacking some materials in jenga fashion with the young guys lunch box as one of the blocks.
    OK I said I don't know who started this how long it has been going on and I don't want to know Tom is old enough that childish pranks should have passed through his system 20 years ago and you should have learned form this that these things have no place in the work place, these end now or both of you get your pinks. My tolerance level is below zero for this. Finish up bandaging your finger and go get it x-rayed.
    Tom can I see you in the office for a minute. After reading both of them the Frank S version of the riot act so far as I know there was never any more Tomfoolery in our shop.
    The way I look at things is if you feel the need to pull pranks or impractical jokes audition for a spot on candid camera
    Last edited by Frank S; Jun 21, 2019 at 01:28 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Jun 22, 2019)

Thanks
    No mistaking that Marv was the kid that didn't get invited to birthday parties.
    You take yourself way too seriously.
    Maybe loosen' that bung-hole a bit.
    Last edited by high-side; Jun 21, 2019 at 05:52 AM.
    Pat

Thanks
    When I told the story of the kid I sent to "go get a box of finish marks" was not the whole story. The shop was small, 5-6 guys. Most of us had important jobs / work to do, and when one of us found a "lull" in the day, we would teach two 16 yr old high-school kids a few lessons on a manual lathe, mill, measuring techniques, etc. At the time when I sent the kid on the bogus mission, he was standing over my shoulder holding up a broom with nothing much to do. Rather than tell him "your in my way" or "get out of my work area" I just played the small joke on him. He was discovered by the owner/boss (a friend of mine) when he was standing on a 2-step ladder looking for those 'finish marks'. The boss chuckled about it, and gave him something else to do.
    I would never jeopardize someones health & safety, personal or company equipment, etc. while playing a joke.
    Pat

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to high-side For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Jun 22, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jun 22, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by high-side View Post
    I had a young inexperienced kid watching me run a Bridgeport yrs ago. I told him to go to the back of the shop, look on the top shelf, and grab me a box of 'finish-marks'. I didn't see him again till after lunch.
    Even better to designate a newb to the knee crank, while I check so-and-so.

I think our veterans can relate more searches for non-existent items than any one.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jun 22, 2019 at 06:39 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    The border of that coupon looks like it's from Harbor Fright.
    The border and microscopic 'offer expires' date.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    As an employer I would agree but as a kid looking for a sky hook was character building, whereas go to the hardware and get this and while there get some striped paint like on the barbers poles was too easy.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Instead of demonstrating to my daughters what a jerk I was, I spent the time teaching them how to:

check the vehicle fluids
    change a tire
    drive a stick shift

Eventually, one daughter had to teach her future husband how to drive her stick shift car. He was amazed that she had that skill. The other daughter astounded her eventual husband by showing him her toolbox. He still jokes that he married her because she owned her own electric drill.
    In early 70s, I dated a girl who had a prime mover lic before a car one. Now one has to move up a max of 2 sizes at a time. eg from a car to a Medium Rigid & have time (couple of years) experience on that lic.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Beserkleyboy View Post
    Mate, We'd be called bullies today, but my, it was actually character building...after you realised, sometimes years later, that yes, you were taken advantage of, but a lifelong lesson was learned, not to distrust authority, but to question it and seek out the truth...cheers...and I've only ever found a right handed smoke shifter...go figure...
    30 yr expat in AUS
    Too true!

Also, bullies were generally dealt with but not always successfully. In year 8 (I just turned 12y.o.=always youngest in my grades) I was being bullied by a group of knuckle heads: the main bully was really short and about 14 whereas the others were the eldest (15y.o.'s)in the grade. I had a friend who was also 15 and a farm boy who had missed a lot of schooling & I helped him as best I could. He stepped in and grabbed the biggest bully by the shirt front and lifted him off the ground using only his right arm and exclaimed " if you touch him again, I'll kill ya". I turned around and all athers were gone. Successful until my mate Bill had to work full time on the farm. An excellent lesson for all concerned.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Jun 23, 2019)

Thread Information