Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Plasma torch cutting guide made from drafting machine

Thanks

Peat's Tools

Plasma torch cutting guide made from drafting machine

I make clam hoes and I needed a way to easily cross cut, split, and cut points on flat stock. After poking around on you tube I decided that I liked the idea of adapting a drafting machine. Checked Craigslist and found one for cheap. After some trial and error, I have a device I like a lot. My plasma cutter is a cheap one from HF. I used plywood covered with 16 gauge steel as the base for the drafting mechanism. Next I removed the drafting head and made an adapter for the torch.

For cross cuts, I use the built in lock for the drafting head. For "ripping" I fashioned a simple clamp that locks the vertical arm. For cutting the points, I free the vertical and horizontal locks and use a template. I haven't tried tracing any elaborate templates, but it works great for my simple needs. I have it attached to my downdraft welding barrel. I use jigs to hold the work, and they align simply by aligning the jig to the edge of the table.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plasma torch cutting guide made from drafting machine-img_2229.jpg   Plasma torch cutting guide made from drafting machine-img_2228.jpg   Plasma torch cutting guide made from drafting machine-img_2231.jpg   Plasma torch cutting guide made from drafting machine-img_2230.jpg   Plasma torch cutting guide made from drafting machine-img_2263.jpg  

Plasma torch cutting guide made from drafting machine-img_2264.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Peat; Apr 7, 2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Adding more pictures

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peat For This Useful Post:

barsyl4041@netzero.net (Apr 7, 2017), Jon (Apr 6, 2017), Moby Duck (Apr 9, 2017), Paul Jones (Apr 7, 2017), thehomeengineer (Jan 26, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Peat! We've added your Plasma Cutting Guide to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: Peat's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Peat; This looks like a good,simple, no nonsense plasma cutter. A good KISS project,as we say down on CAPE COD. Thanks for sharing. BLF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information