Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pliers modification

Thanks

MountainMan's Tools
    So clever yet so simple. This is one of those awesome,,,,,why didn't I ever think of that moments lol Thank you so much for sharing!!!!!

P.S. You should apply for a patent.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Dave
    "I have not failed...I've just found 10,000 ways that wont work"
    Thomas Edison

Supporting Member old_toolmaker's Avatar
    Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools
    Oloneear,

That is a great idea! Thanks

2000 Tool Plans
    Dick

Links to some of my plans:

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...965#post105972 OFF-SET TAILSTOCK CENTER PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...995#post112113 SMALL TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...994#post112111 LARGE TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...383#post110340 MINI-LATHE CARRIAGE LOCK PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...191#post106483 SMALL QC TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/q...849#post119345 QUICK CHANGE LATHE TURRET
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...949#post119893 MINI LATHE COMPOUND PIVOT MODIFICATION

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    Congratulations olderdan - your Pliers Modification is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

A simple but extremely useful modification that not only won the most Thanks votes this week, but is a good example of an Egg of Columbus - an idea that, in retrospect (or after just checking Amazon.com!) seems perfectly commonplace and simple. The hard part is figuring it out (cracking the egg) without those prompts.

Some good picks from this week:

Tubeless Tire Repair Tool by Cascao
    Panavise Accessory Arbor by mklotz
    Indicator Mount Fine Adjuster by jjr2001
    Cylinder Square by olderdan
    DTI Holder Repair by jjr2001
    Swan Neck Mortise Chisel by Philip Davies
    Bottle Jack Repair by Don42
    Annular Cutter Arbor by jjr2001
    Twin Sliding Vise Holder by mklotz
    Lathe Indicator Stand by Canobi
    Wheel Balancer by tonyfoale

olderdan - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 7th Homemade Tool of the Week win. Congratulations and well done.

Here are all of your winning tools:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 21, 2018)

Thanks
    Back in an earlier life, I repaired antique wall and floor [tall] clocks for a clock repair shop whose specialty was doing teeny women's watches and also men's watches. He had no time for big clocks and found them to be little or no challenge. So, he hired me to tear down, disassemble, clean all the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner, reassemble the works, test them for proper operation, replace any worn or egged out shaft holes with brass bushing inserts, probably the most tedious portion of the entire repair, and finally "test drive" them on a clock stand before finally reinstalling the finely tuned clock mechanism back into its case.

When I bought his large clock business, I also inherited a pair of pliers which he said were used to make jewelry. They looked like an end knipping pliers with jaws that came together something like a duckbill pliers with the duck bill bent into a converging circle on the end. But that wasn't all, down the flat part of the pliers jaws there were 3 other assorted sized round holes which I found to be almost indispensable for such jobs as freeing up a wheel shaft on a clock movement which has sat for so many years that the old oil and dust literally stuck the shaft of the clock wheel sic., gear in its bushing on either the front or rear plate of the mechanism. I used those round cut holes to also free up brass screws, nuts, and other parts of clock works and they were always lying close by on my clock bench during repairs.

That pair of pliers somehow disappeared during one of my many moves here in Florida and I never saw them again. Talk about mourning a loss of a " cherished loved one", the loss of that tool almost brought tears to this old clock repairer's eyes. .......... But I recovered and went on to dabble in a craft which I first took up as a teenager, doing leatherwork. Now I build leather sheaths and holsters for outdoors guys who want something a little different to house their treasured camp or hunting knife or personal handguns.

Not getting rich but it keeps me off the streets and out of trouble .....

Thanks
    Would also work great for crimping tiny rf connector pins on wire, or split-shot sinkers on fishing line.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VinnieL For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 21, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Alan,

How do you solder your cables? If you were concerned about the wire temperature it sounds like you are using a flame. I think that there are better methods. I always used a large plumber's soldering iron and overheating the wire was not a consideration, but a few years ago I got a solder pot and wondered why I had waited so long. It is far and away the best method that I have used or seen. You can get them on the net already filled with solder.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 22, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Hi Tony, yes I was using a flame as you guessed, not the best way but your reply set me thinking that my father had a couple of tinmans irons, so after a bit of rummaging in his boxes I found these two beauty's.Pliers modification-irons.jpg
    fortunately we have a gas hob. Thanks for the tip on solder pots, I tried making one once but those online prices will see me buying one soon.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 23, 2019)

Thanks

strube1369's Tools
    Years ago, I needed to weld some eyeballs on hemispheres for some frogs I was making. Modified a pair of pliers to hold them in place.Pliers modification-011.jpgPliers modification-bbweldinginuse.jpg
    Retired professional firefighter. Amateur everything else I try to do...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to strube1369 For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (May 22, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I started to do just this and only wanted two holes. My pliers - however - are actually well made and the jaws are hardened ! I have made some progress but finding the right drill bit will likely be more expensive than picking up a "cheap" pair and starting over.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks strube1369! We've added your Steel Ball Holding Pliers to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: strube1369's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information