Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plug in drilling spindle for the tailstock.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,547 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools

Plug in drilling spindle for the tailstock.

Not a new idea as many old lathes had such an attachment driven from overhead drive but with small modern motors a more compact solution is possible.
    I should state from the beginning that this is not the ideal design but based solely on what I had in the scrap bin and old stock.
    My old SB lathe has plain cast iron bearings which do not like high speeds, my usual working speed is around 600 rpm, this is a problem for small drills. The solution was to make a high speed drilling spindle to plug in the tailstock with minimal setup, in fact by rotating the stock and the drill a truer result can be had.
    I had an old Archer keyless precision 0 to .25 inch chuck which I rarely use which seemed ideal, the integral hardened 1 morse taper was turned down using a CBN tool and cut off to fit two sealed bearings which I had and pulleys were made. An 18v DC motor from an old cordless drill as the power source, and a drive belt from a large O ring I found which I remove when not in use to avoid over stretching, this gives a top speed of 12000 rpm +600 if I also run the lathe.
    That just left a No 2 taper housing to make from a piece of weight lifting bar I had and a mounting bracket from a piece of alloy extrusion. I can power this from my PWM 18v battery power box and And in the absence of a sensitive feed I will for now peck drill by sliding the whole tailstock by hand pressure for tiny drills. The shortened taper is because my topslide travel is 2 inches and the parallel portion enables self ejection. It can also be used as a live tailstock chuck for turning parts too small for a centre i.e. fuel needles.

Plug in drilling spindle for the tailstock.-1.jpgPlug in drilling spindle for the tailstock.-2.jpgPlug in drilling spindle for the tailstock.-3.jpgPlug in drilling spindle for the tailstock.-4.jpgPlug in drilling spindle for the tailstock.-5.jpgPlug in drilling spindle for the tailstock.-6.jpgPlug in drilling spindle for the tailstock.-7.jpgPlug in drilling spindle for the tailstock.-8.jpgPlug in drilling spindle for the tailstock.-9.jpgPlug in drilling spindle for the tailstock.-10.jpgPlug in drilling spindle for the tailstock.-11.jpg
    The reason for making this is a need to make some new jets for a 100 year old AMAC carburettor.

Update
    The old drill motor was a bit lacking so it is now powered by the ubiquitous 775 which is ok for drills up to 5 mm.

Next project is a sensitive lever feed but not for quite a while as I am moving house and workshop.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

12L14 (Jul 31, 2019), Alan Purdy (Jun 22, 2019), Altair (Jun 15, 2019), baja (Jun 22, 2019), DIYSwede (Jun 16, 2019), drivermark (Jun 23, 2019), Gromet (Jun 17, 2019), Home-PC (Aug 6, 2021), Jon (Jun 20, 2019), JTC (Jun 21, 2019), old_toolmaker (Jun 25, 2019), Paul Jones (Aug 9, 2021), Ralphxyz (Feb 16, 2022), Raytonian (Jun 20, 2019), Saltfever (Jun 21, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Jun 20, 2019), Seedtick (Jun 17, 2019), threesixesinarow (Jun 15, 2019), tonyfoale (Jun 19, 2019), Tonyg (Jun 17, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jun 23, 2019), Tule (Jun 18, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,808 Times in 9,915 Posts

Thanks olderdan! We've added your Plug-in Drilling Spindle to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: olderdan's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The collet holder in the 3-jaw chuck? That works? I'd've thought you'd get a lot of run out, and a loss of rigidity, with that set up.

Thanks
    What's the point.....? not seeing any advantage to the contraption. I find a lathe and chuck a far simpler and more reliable method ,

Pep

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by pepi View Post
    What's the point.....? not seeing any advantage to the contraption. I find a lathe and chuck a far simpler and more reliable method ,

Pep
    As Olderdan mentioned his lathe is incapable of high RPMs tiny little drill bits thrive on high RPMS and are a pita to use at even 2000 RPM.
    Pecking at the hole while having to slide the mass of the tail stock might be problematic though
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Oct 30, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools

Pep
    What makes you think that this is not a reliable method, it sounds like you have not tried it? Live tooling is common on even the latest of machine tools.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Jun 20, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Oct 30, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,547 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    If tou look at my thread on chuck truing
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/c...0544#post72674 You will see that my 3 jaw can be trued to tenths if need be and in this case I am only using the collet so as not to damage the threaded part.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Jun 21, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jun 23, 2019)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Pep
    Drilling a 1mm hole in brass requires 8,000-15,000 rpm depending on variables. How would you do that with a 600 rpm lathe?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saltfever For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Jun 21, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jun 23, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,850 Times in 11,341 Posts
    Congratulations olderdan - your Plug-in Drilling Spindle is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Interesting solution, and one that I don't believe we've seen before.

Some good picks from this week:

Lathe Spindle Head Modification by tonyfoale
    Picture Hanging Tool by rgsparber
    Endmill Sharpener by MachineNZ
    Thicknesser by Michael Paley
    Sliding Cutter by Kwandotechnic
    Track Saw Guide by Didpoolhall
    Rivet Set Monkey Tool by Forge Wright
    Mini Lathe Cross Slide Modifications by The Aussie Shed
    Backhoe by Thinkdiy
    Bandsaw by Michael Paley
    Belt Sander by celsoari
    Locomotive Smoker by warsztatOdZera
    Arc Bender by Kovanca Polock
    Table Saw Sled Laser Guide by Michael Paley

olderdan - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 8th Homemade Tool of the Week win. Congratulations and well done.

Here are all of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Alan,

Congrats on your win, well justified.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Jun 23, 2019)

Thread Information